Best emergency Strobe option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Tek-Tite Strobe 200 or 300 is very nice and is the brightest I've seen that can be taken diving, although the screw-in-the-cap "switch" isn't always reliable and the strobe electronics seems quite fragile (I've had 2 failures).

The Jotron AQ-4 is almost as bright and much more reliable, as it uses a magnetic reed switch, has no through-the-case holes or fittings and the seals aren't manipulated during use. Also, the actual electronics seems to be more robust. I haven't had any failures with the Jotron.

Terry

Tek-Tite waterproof strobes come with a choice of dome cover colors. Clear, blue, amber, red, green and IR.
Is there an optimal color for a strobe that would catch a rescuer's eye from the greatest distance yet would indicate there my be an SOS situation?

I.e. maybe a clear strobe light could be regarded as a marker or buoy rather than someone indicating an emergency, while a red or yellow strobe light would suggest otherwise?

2. Strobe. I have a Princeton Tec AquaStrobe. 1AA cell. Small enough to carry on all dives, although I only take it along on selected dives. Not the world's brightest strobe, but in Palau you won't have any significant background light and it will most likely be visible all the way to the horizon.
ACR makes some nice, very tiny strobes for lifejackets, but they are just designed for being splashed and submerged a few feet, not the 100'+ rating needed for scuba, so you would have to put them in some sort of otter box or other enclosure. West Marine or other chandlery shops will have the ACR line.

3. Mirror. The advantage that glass mirrors have is that they stay flat. This keeps the beam better focussed --- this makes a huge difference at the distances that you would actually be trying to signal someone.

5. The advantage of a Dive Alert is that people hear, even when they aren't looking. Many divers have stories about aborting a dive early on and coming up downcurrent of a boat but not being able to get the attention of the Captain who, because it is early in the dive, isn't actively looking for divers.

6. You want a DSMB -- a surface marker that you can deploy while still at depth, or at least from safety stop. Getting the marker up earlier makes it more likely that the boat will spot you if you are drifting away from the boat.

9. Another possible item is the Trident FM36 Signal Tube or something similar. Only suitable for surface usage, it is huge compared to the tiny space it takes when rolled up. To keep it from getting ripped, I keep mine stuffed inside a short section of skinny bicycle tire. This should be in addition to your DSMB.

Where does one purchase a "Jotron AQ-4"?

Thanks

Garv

Where does one purchase a "Jotron AQ-4"?

Thanks

Garv

Jotron makes things like radar for ships and all sorts of extremely expensive marine electronics, so you'll generally find it being sold at marine dealers.

You can google it to find somewhere close.

Terry

6. SMB - any brand suggestions? I have an old XS Scuba unit with no OPV.

7. Spool??? finger style... I am not sure if this is useful or needed, thus I may forgo it.

I bought the Zeagle "Quick Deploy Deluxe" set-up from Scubatoys:

Safety & Signal Devices Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer

It is a simple and effective way of storing the devices (I have it wire-tied to the right edge of my backplate). The SMB is nice quality with OPV and a velcro strap for securing it rolled up. I would have liked some reflective strips on it, but will stick some on myself. The SMB has a small sleeve for a chemical light stick, but I have still to figure out a good way of mounting my little Glo-Toob strobe to the top.

The SS reel is nicely made, although I bought it mainly for the solid feel. A composite reel is fine. I cut the line back about 15' to make better room for the double-ender, and I marked the line at 5' intervals up to 30' to have some indication of depth with the SMB deployed (I realize that is not necessarily always an accurate measure).

I looked at the DAN SMB kit, and it looked nice as well. But I choose the Zeagle for the storage option.

Henrik

Trying to noodle out your application. You are concerned about being mistaken for other objects that are activated. Okay, you're diving in a fairly congested area and at night. That's about all I got out of it.

Unless it is dead calm and the boatsman is actively looking for you, a strobe that is not held high out of the water will likely go un-seen. The best strobe color is white (see OBX and Charlie above). Find one that you can easily secure or pre-mount on an SMB. This will allow you to really elevate the beacon. This is a key.

The ones with more than one AA or AAA battery will likely cause most any SMB to sag and flop over. Weight is critical. The run time on the small units seems quite adequate.

If you are concerned about being spotted from the air, strobes again only have a nighttime application. If that's the case, as little as the spark of a Bic lighter would likely do the trick. The Coasties aren't looking with their naked eyes. It depends upon your situation and if you have flown balloons around the world as to whether they'll fire up the Sea Stallions or not.

The Silberman/Rothco strobe from NudeDiver above? I have had very poor results with these while diving at depth. They are really not for diving, although you can hang them off a boat ladder a few feet down. (Read the website, it says "water resistant") They are great for a life jacket application. The D Cell makes them clunky, but they will run for days. Again- excellent for marking the ladder or hung at 15' from the boat.

MagLites unfortunately are not waterproof if you turn them on. If they are deployed at the surface, they would likely suffice, if you greased the o-rings. Whatever you do, the mating surfaces will corrode after few dives and make the bezel inoperable. I know, I was literally the first person to ever dive with a MagLite and have it flood. When they usewd to say "waterproof to 200 feet" they might have said, "if you don't turn it on". Now, they make no reference as to waterproof specs. The Flash Cap falls victim to this problem.

The Dual Light Saver is useful, but the strobe is a rescue device and should be as small as possible. The adding of a flashlight and additional batteries is clever, but a strobe can run fine with one AAA battery (versus the 3 here). The smaller the better. In that it is a rescue device, it should not be unhooked, touched, or exposed to damage until the crucial moment of need. I advise rolling them up inside your SMB and securing them to the top of the tube. (Remember- if they're heavy, the SMB will not hold them up)

Tek-Tite is my choice.

There is no one-size-fits-all for rescue signaling gear. What works at night, will not help you in the day. What works in the Philippines at night may not work at all in Lake Michigan or Florida.

Pre visualize the situation, gear up accordingly.
RoatanMan,

You mentioned TekTite as your choice as well for "lightweight" strobes. I assume you are not talking about their 2 C cell strobes but rather their 1 aa strobe model?

Garv

I use the single double a battery model from princeton tek as a addition to my smb, I use a glow toob as a tank marker for night dives, and I use a tek tite storbe as a line marker on night dive charters

6. SMB - any brand suggestions? I have an old XS Scuba unit with no OPV.

9. Considering buying a Rescue Streamer see: RescueStreamer® - Water Safety Emergency Distress Signaling Device

Instead of the rescue streamer, consider getting one of those Space Blanket things instead. They're basically a big square of metallized film, but the varied applications for one of those in an extended surface float make them well worth the small space they consume: You can use your dive knife to cut some of it into long strips and tie those together to fashion a rescue streamer (crumple the streamer so it reflects radar better too!), you can keep a big enough piece to hide from the sun under (exposure is one of your biggest enemies), and with a little duct tape you can even make yourself a hat. Most camping supply places have them.

The space blankets fold very compactly: I keep one in my DAN Safety Sausage, which has a convenient pouch attached. Also in that little pouch is a tube of marker dye (I got mine from OxyCheq) and a mini roll of duct tape, along with the cyalume stick, signal mirror, and whistle that it comes with.

Makes a nice little package that I take on every dive.

>*< Fritz

Back
Top Bottom