Best emergency Strobe option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope I do not sound too compulsive about this issue, but I have a 2 year old boy who needs me and I just do not want to leave out any reasonably priced option. I don't care what other divers think of my precautions, as one thoughtful SB member stated - to paraphrase - ... with all my extra signaling gear, I expect to be very popular if I am with a group of divers lost at sea...

Not compulsive/obsessive at all. I take this kind of stuff very seriuosly too. I've been on the rescuer end several times, wishing the person I was searching for just thought for a second about this stuff before they got into whatever situation it was.

PLBs are a great choice, but I agree, they are pricey. If you haven't already checked these out, I recommend them highly: SPOT Satellite Messenger Its a great alternative to an EPIRB, and gives many more options. The toughest thing about them, is finding a waterproof container for them. They just opened up coverage on that side of the world, but double check with the company to make sure though.

I just found an ACR Firefly-Plus strobe/flashlight at my local marine supplier the other day. I bought it because it looked like it had a beefy strobe and the flashlight seemed like it would qualify (just) as a backup light. Now the flashlight is a bit lame but the strobe is quite brilliant and the whole thing is rated as waterproof to 328 ft so I liked it for that. The switch, which is a magnetic/reed style (fairly reliable and eliminates a leak point found with other types of switches) is just a little to easy to switch from off to strobe or flashlight so I can see that it could be accidentally switched on. I think a piece cut out of a bicycle innertube (or a beefy small diameter elastic band) will hold the switch in place if stretched over top. I will be giving this thing a christening in Oz in a couple of weeks and will let you all know if performs properly in the waterproof at depth category.
As mentioned earlier in the thread...this type of gear is only good to you if someone knows you have it with you. SAR will not mount a night rescue if they are not sure you have any type of signalling gear. Another thread (which I urge you to read...the Sticky in General Scuba Equipment Discussion "Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view") talks a lot about this aspect. In fact some of the SAR pilots that responded said that night searches were very successful since the strobe can be seen with night vision goggles even when the target is over the horizon. This is probably the main reason I decided to include a strobe as part of my safety gear, frankly I didn't give it much thought until I ran across the signalling equipment thread. The ACR will have to do for now as I was shopping with a deadline but I will continue to looks for something better. I wonder where the military sources their stobes (the ones issued to pilots etc.)? Anyone got any ideas?

but I will continue to looks for something better. I wonder where the military sources their stobes (the ones issued to pilots etc.)? Anyone got any ideas?

We sell IR Srobe 200's to the defense department in the 1,000's (see tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=2138 )

The STROBE 200 under discussion above is the civilian version.

I thought about starting a thread on this same subject as I want to buy a new strobe.

I've seen the ScubaMax High Intensity Strobe ($49.95) from DiveSports in Action and really like how bright it is. We had it clipped on an anchor line in pitch black water. It was about the only way we were able to find our way back....

SCMX-2816-2T.jpg

ScubaMax High Intensity Strobe ($49.95)
Description

The Saeko Dive submersible diver strobe is the perfect solution for marking your entry and exit points at night or during dives in low visibility. Measuring just over 8" long, this bright xenon strobe has a bur time of 10 hours on two standard AA alkaline batteries. This strobe is tested to a depth of 330 feet and the zenon flash tube has an estimated life of 500,000 flashes. A lanyard is included for easy attachment to an anchor line or other structure.

Also thinking maybe about the Princeton Tec one... but I doubt it's as bright at the above one. (just an assumption). It is a little smaller and would clip easier into a BC pocket. A little cheaper, but I'm afraid it's not near as bright either, for what you pay.

like this one

aquastrobe.jpg

PrincetonTec AQUA STROBE - $37.95

This outdoor and marine survival light is designed to be a real lifesaver. The Aqua Strobe operates on a single AA battery and floats head up in water. Clipped to your body or gear, this light is sure to get the attention of emergency services throughout the world. The Aqua Strobe includes Velcro(R) strap and lanyard for secure attachment.​

Another option is the Trident Flashing Strobe with Velcro Strap. It seems like it might be brighter than the princeton tec one by bulb description, but that's just an assumption.

strobe.jpg

Trident Flashing Strobe with Velcro Strap - $34.95

This Xenon gas strobe light is particularly bright when used at night or at dusk. It can be seen from a distance of 2 miles away. It is specially designed to be waterproof and can be used under water to a depth of 130 feet. The strobe is compact and weighs only 5 ounces. With the attached band it can be wrapped around your arm and taken off easily with one hand.

If anyone has any opinions on these, please let me know.

thanks. -Mike

I have one of the PT Aqua strobes and one of the Tridents as above, both for a long time and they've both been reliable.

I've had about 3 of the Firefly strobe/flashlight things and I wouldn't buy any more. I think they're better suited to boating than diving and the only one that still works lives in my kayak now. One flooded and I have another that I don't think flooded, but doesn't work anymore who knows why. I actually exchanged one right after buying it because an o-ring was pinched in the threads, so it doesn't seem like they assemble these with close attention to serious immersion. The flashlight part seems like a nice idea as a backup but is very lame.

the PT is like half the size, so if you don't have room to stash anything bigger that's good. (I just stick the bigger one in my husbands pocket. :wink: ) The PT is a simple screwdown to turn on, the Trident has an actual switch (the bottom bit rotates) but I don't know what the mechanism is.

I don't think the PT is quite as bright though I haven't compared them directly. The PT runs on a single AA and the Trident is a C so I'm pretty sure the Trident is going to run much longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom