Best Free Photo Software - PC Mag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
FYI - PC magazine has a new on-line article titled
The Best Free Photo Software

The Best Free Photo Software - Reviews by PC Magazine

The products reviewed are:
Adobe Photoshop Express (Beta)
Flickr / Picnik
iphoto '08 (not really free)
Picasa 3 (Beta)
Windows Live Photo Gallery (Wave 3) beta

Here is the summary from the article:

Adobe Photoshop Express (beta)
A slick Flash-based online photo editor that includes 2GB of free Web storage, public and private galleries, and slideshows. It offers easy integration with other sites you might have pictures on, such as Facebook, Flickr, Photobucket, and even Picasa. A new beta "Decorate" feature lets you add formatted text and fun graphics overlays.

Flickr and Picnik
Together, Flickr and Picnik supply the functionality of the other players in this listͧlickr the online sharing and Picnik the editing. Flickr is something of a bird of a different feather as an online sharing site. Rather than creating galleries as the other services do, it treats your photos as a "stream" that's suitable for RSS. Flickr's purpose in life is to build a public community of photos, rather than just sharing with friends and family, though it does allow private photo sets. Picnik is possibly the funnest photo editor, and can even fix a pet's eyes discolored by flash.

iPhoto '08
The latest version keeps iPhoto's basic, easy-to-use editing tools (including a blemish remover and flexible sharpness and noise-reduction filters) and adds a new one: a "straighten" command that lets you rotate a photo freely until it's right. Its division of your photos into Events works well, but you'll have to pay $100/year for online galleries hosted on MobileMe, and if you haven't bought a Mac recently, it will cost you $79 for the iLife software suite it's part of.

Picasa 3 (beta)
The new version of Picasa keeps what's good about the old and adds some killer new capabilities, such as retouching, face recognition, and movie editing. The installed software works seamlessly with the online galleries, and the two can even be synced automatically.

Windows Live Photo Gallery (Wave 3) beta
Improved editing tools, a unique people-tagging feature, and the ability to upload to Flickr and other services are welcome features. But Windows Live Photo Gallery still trails Picasa, which has better face tagging and integration with online galleries.

Any recommendations from the "experts" on how these work with UW photos?

Jeff

I work with iPhoto, Capture NX2 and Adobe Photoshop on a MacBook Aluminum.
I try to spend the least amount of time doing post editing, and more time shooting.
iWork takes care of 75% of my job, when it is really serious I export the NEF and go to Capture.
I just got Adobe Photoshop to try HDR and do somethings I haven't been able to do, like change perspective of the photograph and other stuff.

Yeah, I used GIMP on PCs... nice.

I think Picasa works great for cleaning up underwater photo colors especially for beginners. I also can quickly process and improve a large number of shots. It is certainly no Photoshop and can't make up for really bad shots, but sometimes it does pretty amazing things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom