Best Key Largo Dive ops for 1st timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend calling Conch Republic, I dove with both them and Silent World when I was down in Key Largo a few weeks ago, and preferred Conch Republic due to the great staff and crew as well as the larger boat. The larger boat meant a smoother ride as well as more space to suit up. Even with just 6 or 7 divers on the Silent World boat, I felt cramped, I never felt cramped on the Conch Republic boats due to the flat deck, since there is not "doghouse" taking up the middle of the deck as there would be in a small boat.

We only took Conch Republic's small boat once, and it was just 3 of us, so we had lots of space. Gary and Brenda run a great shop, and do not cram tons of divers on their boats.

Last year went down for referral dives at ITS A DIVE which operates out of the Marriott Key Largo Bay. Boat was full of the same mix of people that it sounds like you'll have on the trip. They offer packages which include diving and rooms. Ryan runs the shop, give him a call and let him know your situation. Confident he can help you out. Check them out. Good Luck Florida Keys Scuba Diving with It’s A Dive; Florida Keys scuba diving reefs from Key Largo's Pennekamp Park to Islamorada’s Alligator Light.

I also have used It's a Dive multiple times. They can accomodate people at all levels and it's a nice group at the shop.

Steve

I have to chime in for Brent at Blue Water Divers also. We dove with them last year and it was my wife's first Ocean dives and she was newly certified as well. Brent was extremely helpful, caring, and accommodating. I would not hesitate to recommend him.

RedWingDiver,

Let me suggest giving some of the shops a call and let them know your situation. Listen to what they have to say and go with the shop that answers those questions and makes you feel most comfortable.

There's a lot of good shops in the Keys which have been mentioned in this thread. The most important thing is you have a great time while visiting the Upper Florida Keys. A lot of the operators here work together to ensure good times are had by all.

Good Diving/Hunting,

I went with Horizon Divers last year. The price was right on their multi-dive packages, but they are not known for coddling.

I've been out with Silent World, Ocean Divers, Quiescence, Conch Republic, Scuba Do, Rainbow Reef and Horizon. Have not been out with Its-A-Dive, BlueWater or Island Ventures. If a 6-pack will work I'd pick Quiescence. Of those I haven't been out with I'd like to try BlueWater in the next couple of months. I think they're a 6-pack as well. For a bigger boat - Conch Republic. They also had a smaller 30' boat. Maybe they still do. Been out with Scuba Do just once since the new owners took over. I'd recommend them. They take ten divers on their 34' boat. How many did you say you wanted to put on the boat?

Another vote for Brent at Bluewater. I dove with him last week on the Grove. Six pack boat. He was very accomidating (took delivery of my gear fed ex b/c I was on kind of a complicated tour of the country for work) and there was a mix of skills on the boat that he worked well with.
I will dive with Bluewater every time I go back to Key Largo.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom