• superior

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • huron

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • ontario

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to say the St Lawerence is the best for many reasons

1) very cool drift diving, nice gental currents LMAO
2) I have always had great visibility when diving there.
3) 100's of ship wrecks to choose from.
4) A very large variety of different types of ships to see.
5) very cheap accomidations, if you know where to look :)
6) Lots of dive shops and charters
7) Very hard to get weathered out.

The only pain in the arse is when you want to dive wrecks on the otherside of that dotted line. You can spend an extra hour dealing with customs:bonk:

ScubaQ

You guys are making me want to move to Canada. Where could you live in the states to have reasonable access to wrecks in the great lakes (i.e. what big cities with academic medical centers)?

merkin once bubbled...
You guys are making me want to move to Canada. Where could you live in the states to have reasonable access to wrecks in the great lakes (i.e. what big cities with academic medical centers)?

Syracuse would be approx 2 hours from the Brockville-Kingston St. Lawrence 1000 Islands / Lake Ontario Region that we have been talking about. I believe they have a medical training centre at Syracuse University.

(since there's no category for Georgian Bay), then my vote would swing to Huron.

I've not had the privelage to dive the Ontario/St.Lawrence Seaway yet, but a buddy that has dove the Jodrey and such thinks some of the best wrecks he's visited are in Huron. There are several fine places to dive in Huron (not all in recreational depths) starting up near the Straits, down to Roger City, Alpena, The Thumb, Sanilac, Sarnia, and back up and around toward Tobermory.

I know all the Great Lakes have their treasures, but I'll have to cast my vote for Huron.

But I'd be happy to change my vote if you want to convince me with a little diving in your favorite areas of other lakes! :)

wb

I dove the Comet in Sept and the vis was great 70+ feet, did the Aloha an hour later and the vis sucked, couldn't even see the Effie Mae, it's amazing how conditions can change so quickly.

Everyone knows the best lake is Lake Rawlings

its not exactly one of the great lakes but I wish I would have known about it when I was in Norfolk on course.

What? You ARE aware that it has a sunken bus, right? Jeez...it is at least as great as any of your lakes...

O-ring once bubbled...
What? You ARE aware that it has a sunken bus, right? Jeez...it is at least as great as any of your lakes...
I guess "size does matter"

I've been to the tip of the Bruce, cold diving, lumber yard for wrecks. Plus you stand a very good chance of getting blown off. And, there are really only a couple of wrecks that are worth diving, Arabia, Forest City, and the newer Niagara. I've read and researched some of the wrecks that are in and around Alpena. They sound very interesting and make me want to get back in Lake Huron. I may get there once my technical skills are allot better. (Its one thing hanging on a wall for your deco, its another doing it blue water.)

Anyway, I forget who mentioned bad vis in the Lawrence... you must have been there when a algee bloom was in play.. I've seen very bad vis on the Vickory (-10 feet) but that is really not the norm. I've seen any where 70 to 100+ vis, coupled with temps getting into the Mid 70's, and that's right down to 150' I'd say this is one of the best spots in Great Lake areas. Now you mix that with the wrecks Picton and Kingston, you've got some mighty fine diving.

SB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom