• superior

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • huron

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • ontario

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin once bubbled...
You guys are making me want to move to Canada. Where could you live in the states to have reasonable access to wrecks in the great lakes (i.e. what big cities with academic medical centers)?
Kingston's, Queen's University
AND the best fresh water wreck diving
Hey, Canada's a great place to live

gedunk once bubbled...

Some of you Canadians need to broaden your wreck diving horizons!:wink:

We have, we dive Brockville and Kingston, and sometimes that great diving lake Crowe.......
:wink: :bonk:

Tobey is a great spot to dive also........

Butch103 once bubbled...
We have, we dive Brockville and Kingston, and sometimes that great diving lake Crowe.......
:wink: :bonk:

Tobey is a great spot to dive also........

we "must not" forget Crowe... LOL dude.

I'm partial to Georgian Bay. It's not listed so I voted for Lake Huron but that's not really fair since the advantages of Georgian Bay do not apply to Lake Huron.
Realize that Georgian Bay includes many recognized diving areas each of which rival those already in this thread. They include among others Tobermory with the best wreck diving services in the Great Lakes (boats and stores) and some excellent wrecks for the advanced diver plus lots of easy wrecks for the newer divers, Midland/Penetang area with lots of excellent shallow wrecks and warm water, Parry Sound with another bunch of good wrecks, Fitzwilliam Island off Manitoulin with some seldom visited and excellent wrecks, Killarney with another 1/2 dozen great wrecks, plus more wrecks in Wiarton, Lions' Head, Hope Bay, Owen Sound, and many more places. There is also some great cave, wall, cavern and rock dives all around Georgian Bay in Tobermory, Giant's Tomb, Killbear and a dozen other places.
Additionally, there are good diving services (boats and air) in at least a dozen different locales around the bay close to cheap accommodations (plus camping in at least 12 different provincial parks).
Diving Georgian Bay can be done on a day basis. That is, it's so close to major cities that many divers drive up for the day.

In my experience there is no other place in North America that offers the variety and quality of diving close to home and with good diving services.
This may surprise some divers but that's because they've limited their view of Georgian Bay to Tobermory. Get out a road map and look at Georgian Bay. It is almost as large as Lake Ontario and has many more rivers, bays and islands than any other Great Lake except for Lake Superior. Georgian Bay has often been called the 6th Great Lake and rightly so.
Manitoulin Island on it's north edge is the largest fresh water island in the world.
My point is that Georgian Bay is NOT Tobermory!

BTW, I just discovered an author who claims to have documented a total so far of 4262 shipwrecks in the Great Lakes.
He estimates that there are likely 5000 wrecks in total.

Let's stop discussing which lake is the best and get diving!!

I AM LAKE SUPERIOR COLD AND GRAY. NO OTHER LAKE HAS GOT WHAT IT TAKES. ALL ARE INFERIOR. I AM LAKE SUPERIOR.

Sorry guys I'm originally from the Soo and I love Lake Superior and although I have just started diving, I would love to go home and do some exploring. Mayge I'll see a Sturgeon.

Back
Top Bottom