Best Location for Weekend Trip to Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be doing some work in Singapore next month and will have the opportunity to get away for a long weekend (2/18 - 2/21). I initially wanted to do a liveaboard from Sin but folks on Singapore board suggested Bali as the best bet that time of year.

I was wondering if there was a location/dive hotel that people recommend. I've read a bit about Liberty and it sounds like a pretty nice setup but wasn't sure if it was my best bet. Some stuff about me:

(1) I'm not really into Muck diving. Maybe I haven't done good Muck diving and having a private guide is kind of cool but I'm more into wall diving where you can just drift along and "watch a show" as opposed to really having to hunt for stuff

(2) Also I really love to see big stuff. I still get a rush out of watching a Shark stalk around or Manta glide by

(3) Tumbutan sounds really remote. Since this will be my only venture to Indonesia I'd like experience a little bit of culture and particularly eat local food. Is that possible around there?

(4) Finally I'll be travelling solo so a diving environment that is good for that (i.e. not on your own shore dives) and is also nice and solo for chatting with people in the evening. That being said I have 0 interest in a party/tourist scene. Just the opportunity to share a beer with other travellers/divers in the evening is what I ask for...

Is Liberty my best bet? Anywhere else to consider? I'm also not married to Bali if folks had a different locale altogether...

Thanks,

bg

When it comes to diving, Indonesia is the land of compromise. No muck, big stuff, and drifting walls in Bali for a long weekend is probably best served in Lembongan. There is a bit of nightlife and social stuff too thanks to a decent amount of divers and surfers. Downside is you will have to schedule your flights with boat transport to and from the island. If you plan well you can land and be on the island in about 3+ hours but it absolutely makes long weekends a pain in the a$$.

Heading up to Tulamben will take 4-5 hours from landing and the diving is good. There are a few restaurants around and a mellow little social scene. You can dive a lot too as everything is from shore on your schedule. Downside is not much in terms of big things, but great macro diving for sure. The wreck has some bumpheads early in the morning and the jack "fish tornado."

Padang Bai is another option. If you book early enough and the weather is good, you can spend one day Lembongan and another day around Gili Tepakong and Gili Mempang and have a good shot at some pelagics. Downside is long boat rides. If you enjoyed muck diving, I would steer you to Padang Bai for sure.

Do not stay in Sanur or Kuta and head on a day long diving safari. That will equal all day treks in busses and vans.

Hope this helps with your research.

Lembongan looks like it may be a good bet especially if I can get an early enough flight to get the last speed boat.

Is there a dive shop that folks like to hook up with? I definitely appreciate a place that caters to experienced divers and lets you stay down as long as air and computer allow...

Bg

Hi Benny,

I just got back from Bali and I am based in Singapore.

I typically dive with livingseas.com.sg as they bespoke the trip to your liking. They are based in Singapore and Bali.

The dive center in Bali is located in a hotel. All you have to provide is your flight details and everything else will be arranged (from accommodation to transportation).

Their pricing is competitive and you can email them for sites recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Padang Bai may be your best bet as you will get a good taste of what Bali can offer. And there is no big transport issues.
The day trip out to NL should be great and then you can dive more locally the other day.
Geko Divers is in the area and gets plenty of good reviews.

I'd recommend diving Gili Tepekong and Mimpang on day 1, then Nusa Penida Manta Point and a drift dive site on day 2. You could consider doing third dives at Padang Bai dive sites after lunch. This would give you good chances to see schools, pelagic, turtles, manta rays and sharks.

Hi Benny, As a frequent visitor to Bali, I agree with Cedric. Using Padang Bai as a weekend base is an excellent idea for a first time weekend visit to Bali. One day divig near Padangbai and the second day at Nusa Penida sounds about right to me. I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. Plus it's easy to enjoy yourself as a solo traveler in Padangbai. Give my best to everyone.

I'd stay in Sanur and dive with Bali Scuba - that way you can dive Lembongan on day trips AND also go to Tulamben and Padang Bai - I think they have 2, 3 and 4 day package deals which are worth checking out and they take care of all your transport and pickups etc. This is their website www.baliscuba.com Hope that helps!

I'd stay in Sanur ....
Jeeze, i wouldn't recommed that to any of my foes.
It's not for nothing they nicknamed it "Snore". Unless of course if families, russian tourists and 3 hours bus trips in the traffic jam to get to your dive spot is your kind of weekend.

There are so many good locations and dive centres around the island I can't see any interest of staying in Sanur!

Back
Top Bottom