Best Manatee tours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anybody have any recommendations for a Manatee snorkel tour company around Homosassa? We're heading down that way in early summer and wanted to snorkel with them.

don't remember where exactly but we ve been to tampa end up in a park where they where 100 of them it s was free. Beside being huge and static there us is not much exciting about a manatee tour. i will put your money elsewhere if i was you.

Yeah, that park was probably the power plant. I dove with the Manatees quite a bit fifty years ago but not since then. As far as being exciting: I dive and snorkel for the relaxation, the beauty and the peacefulness. I like Manatees. If I wanted excitement, I'd go on a shark tour or dive with Alligators!

Yeah, that park was probably the power plant. I dove with the Manatees quite a bit fifty years ago but not since then. As far as being exciting: I dive and snorkel for the relaxation, the beauty and the peacefulness. I like Manatees. If I wanted excitement, I'd go on a shark tour or dive with Alligators!
yes exactly near the power plant !

Birds Underwater out of Crystal River is the best go to.
Uhhmm is that Crystal River is the best or anyplace outside of Crystal River?

I was looking at the one in Homosassa Springs, the Manatee Snorkel Center because they're the closest to where I'll be.

Crystal River is the best place to be, and I’d agree that Bird’s Underwater (specifically the 6am manatee tour) is what you want. It’s not a very long drive at all from Homosassa to Crystal River.

Most importantly, you want a cold morning in winter (temps ideally in the 30s or below). Cold morning + out at sunrise = manatees that will come up and play with you, chew on your hair, wrap themselves around your legs, etc. I’ve seen lots of manatees but never seen them playful like that other than first thing in the morning on very cold days.

P1220238-Enhanced-NR.jpeg

Crystal River is the best
Historically, yes. If you just want to see them, then Blue Spring out of Orange City is the place. You cannot get in the water with them there.

There are manatee throughout Florida all year long. When the weather gets cold, so does the water. Ergo, they flock to the springs which remain a constant temperature. So, in the winter, they can be found in most any spring run or river to a spring run. They usually go to the same spring year after year.

Ok, well that settle it. I'm going to go to both of them, Homosassa and Crystal River. We're going to be RVing and staying in the Lakeland and St. Pete area so I probably won't make the 6am tour. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom