Best means of securing to a bcd a PT-045 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lanyard system has two Fastex clips. One is between the ends of the coil, so the rig can be attached, but not dangling. The other clip is between the camera and the end of the coil. I can use either the far clip or the red 'biner to detach the rig and hand it up before boarding a boat. I usually don't enter the water with my camera. I have some one hand it down to me. I usually have the camera clipped to my left waist D ring. Sometimes I will clip it to a chest D ring if I am handling a rope or something. Before some one tells me that the red plastic 'biner is no good, I figure that if I get caught on something, I would rather have the camera break away than get dragged by it.

hey gert7to 3, is that a DIY tray and arm on yr rig? looks well made, mind posting a complete picture of it?

i've got an inon set-up that is way too heavy. thks for yr help

Yes, my tray/arm set up is DIY. I made the left arm from a 1.25" plastic drain pipe "P" trap. I have made three basic models with modifications within each model. The trays have been either flat plate or angle aluminum stock. The latest rig, for an ikelite housing, is made from square aluminum stock. A short piece of aluminum is epoxied and pinned into the plastic pipe for the tray pivot. The plastic pipe joints are able to rotate so the strobes can be positioned properly.

Here are a few pictures of the set ups.

Attachments

• Tray:arm evolution.jpg
    Tray:arm evolution.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Mk 3 details.jpg
    Mk 3 details.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 42
  • Mk.2.2 Details.jpg
    Mk.2.2 Details.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Mk 2.2 overview group.jpg
    Mk 2.2 overview group.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for the photos. My rig has a tray and one strobe. I usually enter the water holding on to the strobe arm with one hand and holding my mask with the other hand. I hand it to the dive team on getting out of the water and in the boat. I was trying to understand how to fix the set up to my BC when I need to use two hands going down a mooring line.

I use the same lanyard to secure my camera to my BCD and I really like it.
I took a couple short workshops with two different U/W camera instructors and both said to NOT enter the water holding your camera if you can. It can cause a leak in the seal due to the shock to the u/w housing when you hit the water. That noted I had to go in with my camera a couple times in Coz due to the current.

Good information. I will have someone hand me my rig from now on. Does that lanyard system hook to the BC in 2 places or is it one point fixation? I am still trying to figure out how secure or floppy it is if I am desending a mooring line in current and have to use two hands on the line.

Yes, my tray/arm set up is DIY. I made the left arm from a 1.25" plastic drain pipe "P" trap. I have made three basic models with modifications within each model. The trays have been either flat plate or angle aluminum stock. The latest rig, for an ikelite housing, is made from square aluminum stock. A short piece of aluminum is epoxied and pinned into the plastic pipe for the tray pivot. The plastic pipe joints are able to rotate so the strobes can be positioned properly.

Here are a few pictures of the set ups.

so you're the real Mcgyver! that is an excellent piece of DIY. you rock man.

I use the same lanyard to secure my camera to my BCD and I really like it.
I took a couple short workshops with two different U/W camera instructors and both said to NOT enter the water holding your camera if you can. It can cause a leak in the seal due to the shock to the u/w housing when you hit the water. That noted I had to go in with my camera a couple times in Coz due to the current.

i totally agree with that entry. in particular, if you have a optical cable set-up, it might come loose. best if boatman hands you the camera or a seated back roll .

MJSmith, the single fixation point to my BC is floppy, but it doesn't really matter. I rarely let my camera dangle by the coiled lanyard. If I want my hands free, the Fastex clip between the ends of the lanyard is secured. The camera either rides around my hip from the belt loop or against my torso if clipped to a chest loop.

So decimal86, are you going to build an arm/tray?

Thanks gert7to3. Clipped to the torso will probably be more secure. I have been in some currents on mooring lines that have been strong enough to pull off my mask, so I really want to figure out a way to secure my camera. Sometimes you don't know about situations until you get into them!

Back
Top Bottom