Best motion/seasick meds for divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Meclizine. Works for me. However, there are other things that help. For example, do not be at the back of the boat when they fire up the diesels. Yes, some think it's cool to be ""up top" on the ride out, but there is a lot of sway there. Going below doesn't help. Stay amidships in the fresh air. If there is a stable object on the horizon, focus on it. Stay hydrated and remember the only place not rocking is under the water diving. If all else fails, have fruit loops for breakfast (at least it will be colorful:D).

Another vote for Triptone... Doesn't make me drowsy or dehydrated. Start taking a couple of days before you hit the boat, let it get to therapeutic level.

Rescue Diver: The first time I used the patch, I thought the dry mouth would do me in, but Jolly Ranchers are wonderful for that. The next time I used it, it wasn't so bad. This third time, it was easily addressed with a swig of water.

Again, everyone's physiology is different.

Correct. The patch is "one size fits all" and that size only works for items made with spandex. If the patch came in saaayy.. 3 or 4 different dosages I would try it again. The pill form I have heard is good but I have not been able to try that yet.

I absolutely swear by marazine. It is hard to find, but it is the only drug that I have NEVER been sick with. And, I have had no side effects, at all. I usually take it the first couple of days on a liveaboard, then I'm good to go...

there is a suppository product out there.... just sayin....

Yep-Phenergran. But it is also available in tablet form (phew!). A friend of mine said it worked great when he got seasick on the crossing to Cocos.

So, what's the best meds to have for this trip? I've heard some can make you drowsy and I obviously want to be fully alert, especially since the Clipper is going to be the first dives and my deepest dives by FAR.
A good question, not amenable to a single specific answer. There are a variety of medications available to combat motion sickness. A reasonable, but not necessarily comprehensive, summary, would include (but not be limited to:

Cyclizine Marazine
Meclizine Bonine; Antivert
Dimenhydrinate Triptone; Dramamine
Dimenhydramine Benadryl
Scopalamine Various
Ginger (Powder, liquid, slices, etc.)
Promethazine Phenergan

What each diver looks for is the optimal balance between effectiveness (efficacy) and side effects (safety). Virtually ALL anti-emetic compounds have some degree of drowsiness associated with their use. Most of them are anti-cholinergic compounds, which explains both their effectiveness as well as their potential to produce drowsiness. This class of compounds decreases gastrointestinal movement (motility) as well as gastric secretions. They also produce drowsiness as a central nervous system effect. There is no rocket science here.

In reality, individual reaction to different compounds – individual benefit as well as individual extent of side effects – is just that –INDIVIDUAL. I hesitate to say one is better than another because ‘better’ is very much a personal perspective. At the same time, in general the dose provided by the prescription products is generally higher than the dose provided by the over-the counter (OTC) products, even where the active ingredient is the same. The simple solution to that discrepancy,- by the way – simply take double the recommended OTC dose.

As one example, while I personally prefer Triptone to Bonine, in reality I think the difference is minimal. I haven’t tried every compound, so I cannot compare. Once I found Triptone works for me, the issue was resolved.

Two factors, possibly more important than the active ingredient:

1. When you take the medication. Any medication is more likely to be effective is you take the first dose 12 – 16 hours before the start of the trip, and take a second dose at the beginning (when the boat leaves the dock). You are more likely to have higher (and potentially more effective ) serum concentrations if you do that, rather than just taking the medication as you leave the dock.
2. What you eat and drink around the time of diving– some benefit from saltines and ginger ale, while others have specific, personal preferences. Find out what works for YOU. In general, a) adequate hydration before the trip, and b) avoiding foods that ordinarily cause gastric distress for YOU, etc., are reasonably prudent actions as well.

My daughter is not a good sailor, and a diving medical doctor advised her to take Avomine (Promethazine Theoclate) the night before the boat trip.

It worked for her, a tablet just before going to bed and no issues the next morning when we made our boat dives.

Great suggestions all..

Indeed. For me, Scopalamine is a life-saver despite the side effects. Nothing else seems to work (Not even Kevin Rumbo's jedi mind-over-matter tricks)

To be clear though, I take it in pill form: 1 the night before a trip and 1 the day of. Works virtually every time.

I tried the patch and it kept coming off, especially with drysuit neck seals ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom