Best non-Suunto dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's been a lot of talk about the Datamask in these pages. I can't really comment on it as I can't wear it - I have a weak right eye and it only comes in a right-eyed version. But I know someone who has one and seems to like it, though not for night dives - he finds the constant-on display very distracting and it destroys his night vision. I think I would probably hate it, as I don't check my gauges that often and I wouldn't want that information thrust at me like that. But as I said, I haven't tried it.

Has your friend tried turning down the display? I use mine for night dives too. I just turn the display brightness down to 5% from 100%.

It took me some getting used to as well, but it's great to never have to look for my Atom2 or PP2 to check anything. When I'm trying to watch students, take photos, or just stalk fish -- never having to look outside my mask for my dive data is very cool!

I apologize; it was only last night that I learned that the only way to run VPM live on a Mac was using Parallels.

I did dive the computer last night, and it IS as cool as it looks. The logging software is very simple, and the only thing it doesn't have that I wish it had was somewhere to put in starting and ending pressure, so I could keep track of gas consumption (both of my other logging software programs have had this).

Anyway, it's not a solution for a Mac owner or someone who has to have air integration, apparently. But it's a cool computer.

Another option is to just keep the dive logging function separate from your dive computer. I bought a Sensus Ultra dive logger several years ago. The manufacturer, Reefnet, provides software that runs on Windows, Palm, and Mac operating systems. There are some third-party Linux solutions available as well. The download cradle requires a serial-to-USB adapter, but the driver is provided on the Reefnet site so installation is easy.

I have been very happy with the performance of the Sensus Ultra. It requires virtually no maintenance at all. I leave the small doodad clipped to my BC and just rinse it with the rest of my stuff post-dive. There are no buttons to press or o-rings to change. The battery is not user-replaceable, but considering the minimal energy requirements of the device, the manufacturer estimates that the battery should last 10 years. The device records time, pressure, and temperature for each datapoint. I think my Mosquito only records the high and low temperatures during the dive. If you consider that a Suunto-branded download cable costs $100, then the price I paid several years ago ($125 for logger + download cradle) compares favorably. The current price for logger + cradle is significantly more ($170), but I hear that if you band together with a few friends you can get a significant discount by buying in bulk.

Another option is to just keep the dive logging function separate from your dive computer. I bought a Sensus Ultra dive logger several years ago. ...
... The device records time, pressure, and temperature for each datapoint.

Well, of course it actually measures pressure, but it records depth.
What it's missing that I want is tank pressure.

I think it's a great little device at a very reasonable price. I've looked at it previously and given some serious consideration to buying one. But until there's an AI version that records tank pressure, I still want something else that does, and it happens that the Cobra does that plus an adequate job of depth and temperature.

There is no one best fit for all divers' requirements. I think I undrstand why a tech diver like TSandM lusts after an X1 and has little or no use for a Cobra. The Cobra can certainly be improved on in a lot of ways even for rec divers like me. It's my best fit for me, so far. But I could really see adding an Ultra to their rig makes sense for a lot of divers.

Well, of course it actually measures pressure, but it records depth.
What it's missing that I want is tank pressure.
Actually, the device records pressure...not depth. Depth is calculated in the Win/Palm/Mac/Linux software after data download based on the known or assumed value of the absolute pressure at the sea surface and the water type (salt/fresh). Check out the developer's manual available on the Reefnet site. Recording in other devices, such as the Suunto dive computers, may be different.

As you pointed out, by "pressure" I was referring to ambient pressure and not tank pressure.

I think it's a great little device at a very reasonable price. I've looked at it previously and given some serious consideration to buying one. But until there's an AI version that records tank pressure, I still want something else that does, and it happens that the Cobra does that plus an adequate job of depth and temperature.

I'm not sure why an AI version of the Sensus would be that compelling. I guess it would be a way of getting a more accurate, highly resolved (time-wise) SAC/RMV rate after the dive and analyzing how changing conditions during a dive caused the SAC to go up or down. IMO, the utility of AI computers is that they will simultaneously calculate NDLs for a given depth and the SAC rate for a recent interval of time. Then the computer will display the lesser of the calculated NDL or time to consume remaining tank air given the current SAC rate. The diver doesn't have to worry about keeping track of remaining air and NDL time. He just looks at the dive computer screen and can see how long he can stay at the given depth (factoring in time/air to ascend + safety stop, etc.). The Sensus doesn't have a display, and it's not intended to provide real-time diving info like a dive computer is so, frankly, I don't even see a point to having an AI version of the Sensus.

Reefduffer, it sounds like you are very happy with your Cobra. I have one dive buddy who has it, too, and he really likes using it.

Have fun diving this weekend...

It looks like a very nice feature set. But ...

The OP was complaining about mac compatibility.
I've looked at the X1 owner's manual and it seems to talk only about windows software. Google turns up some mention of running the vplanner s/w under windows using Parallels. That isn't a mac solution for many of us, it's desperation, and in any case it would be just as applicable to the OP's Suunto problem.

So it seems a bit of a non-sequitor in this thread, unless you're aware of a mac interface solution your post didn't mention?. OTOH, If you just dived with it, and it matches the description, I can understand your enthusiasm. :14:

BTW, as rich as the feature set is, it doesn't look like my perfect PDC. No air integration. I like having my tank pressures recorded. We do very different kinds of diving. I think even if it were mac-compatible and the same cost, I'd prefer my Cobra. Doesn't mean I expect tech divers to have the same preference.

I don't really disagree, but just for interest. I'v used a Cobra for the last 5 or 6 years, I'v always used a Mac, my X1 arrived a couple of day's ago. No, I wouldn't have the X1 if I didn't do deeper deco diving.

One of the things I'v always loved about my Mac, there's almost always a way to do what I need to do. As they're now Intel based I would have thought that it wouldn't be too difficult to port windoz software to the new platform.

Actually, the device records pressure...not depth. Depth is calculated in the Win/Palm/Mac/Linux software after data download based on the known or assumed value of the absolute pressure at the sea surface and the water type (salt/fresh). Check out the developer's manual available on the Reefnet site.

OK, thanks for the info. The Reefnet product page (your link in a prior post) talks repeatedly about depth, but I can believe it actually records pressure and lets the external software do the conversion. Thanks for the correction.

I'm not sure why an AI version of the Sensus would be that compelling. I guess it would be a way of getting a more accurate, highly resolved (time-wise) SAC/RMV rate after the dive and analyzing how changing conditions during a dive caused the SAC to go up or down.
... so, frankly, I don't even see a point to having an AI version of the Sensus.

Yup, that's it. The idea of looking at SAC rates to monitor mental and physical state while diving, and as a base for gas planning, seems well accepted. But what we have is incredibly coarse, average depth and delta-P for the whole dive. Does SAC vary with depth? Activity? (That long swim at the end where we initially surfaced at the wrong boat). Or just as the dive progresses? Might we learn something more about our diving if we had what amounts to a SAC profile available?

If you look at say, the Cobra, all it needs to give you that is a little more flash memory and (maybe) a slightly faster CPU. It's almost bizarre how little memory capacity it actually has for something still on the market. Having been in the business, they probably can't buy such small flash memories these days; I'd guess they either did a last-time-buy, or use larger chips and just don't use 3/4 of them for external feature compatibility - and to avoid cannibalizing Cobra-2 sales.

OK, the Cobra is what it is, and I want an AI for the real-time air-time-remaining feature that you succinctly described. But if I had a Sensus-AI (tm) available to get an after-the-fact SAC profile, I might buy it. Especially if it was native-mac with open s/w development tools, like the Ultra. Heck, I might never even bother uploading my PDC, and then I might have an Oceanic Pro-Plus 2 with the bigger display instead of a Cobra, since mac software access was a decider in that decision.

I'd rather have it all in my PDC, and I think it ought to be, but it isn't.

Thanks for the discussion. Wish I was diving this weekend. Enjoy yours.

I think you'll find that the Cobra II has identical circuitry to the present Cobra I, with certain functions blanked out on the cheaper model to maintain a difference. It's standard practice with electronics manufacture to avoid having separate production plants. Often the machines are identical and there are hidden menus that you could access if you knew the button sequence.

I am also looking at the VT3 due to its gas switching(I believe capable) and air-integration. I am just not sure if the VT3 could handle that kind of class.

It does! That's class worthy of the VT3 &/or Atom 2.

Back
Top Bottom