Best place to attach Glotoob for maximum visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So long as the tank marker is not one of those irritating ones that flash, I like seeing different colored lights on the different divers in a group at night, and the lower the viz the more I like it. But the lights need to float up above the tank valve; some do and some don't. The GloToob does not float, unfortunately.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If everyone on the team has a primary and backup light there is no rational reason for a glostick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You diver lights are only unidirectional. Glosticks and glotubes are multidirectional.
You can Color-code ID teammates. You can split off and quickly count off a person's position quicker based on that divers primary light+glostick. Say you're surveying or doing a collecting dive.

And when you're topside, that multi directional light source beats twirling your can light over your head as a dive marker for your surface support and any other boat traffic.

Lol. No dive boats for cave divers. And when I do a night dive in Roatan I have my primary cave light with me. No dive boat will miss my direct signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are using a reasonable bright light, if you or your buddy can't see the reflection from your primary even if they are pointing at opposite directions, I think you guys are too far from each other. Glotube isn't going to help. I will consider that as buddy separation

I did not post this question in the cave divers forum because I am not a cave diver, and I don't own a can light.

Entanglement hazard in open water?? Seriously? From a AAA battery sized object securely fastened flat on some hard surface, or the back of the mask strap?? C'mon guys.

I probably have a higher chance of getting electrocuted by the battery discharging into the water.

And the reason the Glotoob is essential is because when I go for dive trips, they sometimes assign us to a dive guide along with 6 other divers. On a low-vis or night dive, it becomes hard to identify who your buddy is, especially when everyone is carrying a torch. When 2 groups criss-cross each other mid-dive, that's when things get really confusing.

The kool-aid has a long half-life in the blood stream. :wink:

Guess you never dive where people fish. Monofilament line is the number one open water entanglement hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No....it's kelp. Even monofilament tangles in kelp.
How else do you suppose us west coast coldwater divers stay down for so long? :D

What is the best place to attach the Glotoob that will work for both single and double tanks?

Preferably it can be attached to a location which can be seen from the most angles possible, be secure and the switch is accessible by the diver.

Thanks!

I don't use them. What me and my regular buddies do is to just let a backup light hang from a D ring. My regular buddy also has a small light that he attached to the inflator hose pointing up.

The light bundle from the backup light makes a big dot on the bottom right under where the diver is and this dot can be seen from any angle except above and behind. The one on the inflator hose shoots a light beam pointing up behind the diver for those odd times that you find yourself above and behind them.

This probably won't work in all circumstances but for the diving we do it works just fine.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom