Best place to dive near Manila- April 3-6???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You take the bus or a taxi to Batangas Pier and then a ferry to Sabang, White Beach, or PG town proper. You could charter a private boat but it would be pretty expensive. They're not the massive ferries like the ones that go to Cebu, they're wooden things with a few rows of benches and hold 50-100 people, depending on the size.

I've never felt unsafe in one. If it were to start sinking for some reason you could just climb out, they're open on all sides. And they have life jackets right above your head.

What is the best way to get there? (Over water)

From Batangas port to which ever section of Puerto Galera you choose to stay, I prefer Minolo Shipping lines otherwise known as MSL or the red and white boats, These boats go a bit faster than the Father shipping lines otherwise known as FSL or the yellow and blue boats. When your buying your ticket in Batangas port just look out for the sign above the booth thats says Minolo Shipping lines. It's a sign with red font on a white backround.

I would like to avoid fairies that sink and kill hundreds of passengers at a time.

I hear ya,I recommend to travel at the first ferry crossing as the wind is usually the weakest in the morning,the later in the day you travel the stronger the wind and larger the waves. The first ferry from Batangas with MSL is at 7:30 AM which goes to Muelle , from their you have a choice to wherever. I've never had a problem traveling early in the morning but I've heard plenty of horror stories from ferries taking the later times. Nothing too dangerous I should say but definitely not comfortable crossings. These ferries all have life jackets on board,I see most people using them as a pillow though.

There is also a car park right inside Batangas port beside where all the buses drop passengers off.

From Batangas port to which ever section of Puerto Galera you choose to stay, I prefer Minolo Shipping lines otherwise known as MSL or the red and white boats, These boats go a bit faster than the Father shipping lines otherwise known as FSL or the yellow and blue boats. When your buying your ticket in Batangas port just look out for the sign above the booth thats says Minolo Shipping lines. It's a sign with red font on a white backround.
Both depart at different time so I just take the first available one.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2013 at 04:40 PM ----------

I hear ya,I recommend to travel at the first ferry crossing as the wind is usually the weakest in the morning,the later in the day you travel the stronger the wind and larger the waves. The first ferry from Batangas with MSL is at 7:30 AM which goes to Muelle , from their you have a choice to wherever.
From Mulle(Puerto Galera), you need to pay trike/jeepney/banca to Sabang. So why bother as there is a direct one to Sabang a wee bit later. BTW, 07:30ferry is only suitable for anyone who is staying in Batangas overnight or travelling down from Manila at 05:00 in the morning!!

I guess it depends on what time the first dive is at your chosen dive shop and how much time you have. Most dive shops will do the deepest dive first and some people prefer these dives or atleast having the option.

I guess it depends on what time the first dive is at your chosen dive shop and how much time you have. Most dive shops will do the deepest dive first and some people prefer these dives or atleast having the option.
Overseas visitors make up the majority number of divers going to PG and I would be very surprised that they would want to travel at 05:00 in the morning. BTW, most dive shop do not a FIXED schedule, it is totally depend on demand. You can make your deepest dive in the afternoon if the dive shop has a staff to take care of you or they can even source one from outside.

There are plenty of options in PG.

Not everyone posting here is an overseas visitor though ,I believe the guy or girl who asked the question is living here in the Philippines. So therefore my response was structured as such.

Not everyone posting here is an overseas visitor though ,I believe the guy or girl who asked the question is living here in the Philippines. So therefore my response was structured as such.

Yes! :)

That's the REAL question.
What dive shop is the best (cheapest, easiest to get to, safety conscious, decent boat (Not exposed to the sun), good dive times) to dive with if you live in Manila?

In Cebu City and Moalboal, you had lots of options.
You just pick a dive shop and go at designated times.
Simple and easy. No need to plan a trip, rent a Banca, dive master, choose your resort to stay at, calculate the total cost.

From Manila, it seems you gotta make a dive "trip" like all other vacationers.
10,000 - 15,000 pesos for 2 days of diving is not a lot for vacationers but if you do that every week, it adds up pretty quickly.

But sounds like that's what I gotta do. Dive vacation trips.

My friend works in the Fort and travels down to Puerto most weekends to dive and he goes to badladz, it's a nice place away from the girly bars .I'm not sure how much he pays but its a lot less than 15,000 pesos, They seem to give him a good rate since he goes there often, send them an e mail about what it is you want and see what they say. Best Puerto Galera Resorts, Hotels, Diving | Badladz Resorts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom