Best Place to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vladimir! Awesome photos. Especially the bottom one! Amazing! Reminds me of Finding Nemo :)

Portobelo, Panama (Carib.side). Haven't been there yet, but Panama is the only Carib. country I know of that permits shell collecting while diving-- and it's a PADI shop yet.

The place I'd most like to go back to: Catalina Island.
Favourite local dive site: Troy Springs (for the people watching)

Students ask me this all the time. Every dive spot is special for a reason. I tell them it's their job to go find out for themselves why it's special. It's someone's favorite, it may or may not be yours, but only make that call based on your own experience. I have a list of favorites that keeps on growing. As RJP said, my favorite is usually wherever my last dive was. Close to home (whereever that may be at the moment since I've lived/worked in some awesome dive destinations) is usually at the top of the ever growing fluctuating list.

Students ask me this all the time. Every dive spot is special for a reason. I tell them it's their job to go find out for themselves why it's special. It's someone's favorite, it may or may not be yours, but only make that call based on your own experience. I have a list of favorites that keeps on growing. As RJP said, my favorite is usually wherever my last dive was. Close to home (whereever that may be at the moment since I've lived/worked in some awesome dive destinations) is usually at the top of the ever growing fluctuating list.
This is all well and good, and I agree with the sentiment. But I typically spend from $4 to $20k on a dive trip and my even more precious vacation time. So I don't intend to spend it swimming among denuded coral heads in Montego Bay looking for what makes that site special. If I had the time to winnow out all the mediocre spots by visiting them I'd be happy to do so; unfortunately I get three dive trips in a good year and I rely on research to make sure they're as good as they can be.

Palau was awesome. It's a long trip to get there even from where I live (california), but definitely worth it. And it is pretty on the surface, too.

>>> Why..? What did you see? When did you go?
Great walls, mostly drift diving (=effortless), lots of small and large fishes (including sharks and rays).
I went last summer.

Manta Bay off of Kona, Hawai'i, at night.

Ok, my experience is quite limited, but the manta ballet......how can it get much better than that?

I'd love to go to Egypt one day!!
But I'm sure there are any more exciting places!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom