Best place to live as a retired diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which Gainesville? Florida, Georgia or Texas?

😋
The only good things to ever come out of Georgia is I-75 and I-95! I think it's only I-10 for Tejas.

I live in Miami and have also spent the last 15 years between South Florida and NYC (80/20 Miami/NYC). I also still own a small investment property (3BR home) in Fort Lauderdale, in addition to my primary condo residence in Miami. Bottom line: Everything in South Florida is very, very expensive. And this is from me, someone who has spent most of my life living in NYC and London.

Inflation is #1 in the country. Insurance is out of control ($8000 a year on a 3BR/2BA home in FTL, $2200 for just interior condo insurance in an almost brand-new building). Gas prices are always among the top in the country. Food prices are high. Other than the price of housing per square footage, I really believe that Miami is more expensive than NYC these days. Given the cost, growth, and lack of infrastructure investment, I am seriously reconsidering my future in Florida. Global warming and sea level rise is, of course, a major concern and none of the counties here seem to be taking anything seriously, even though 20 mins of hard rain tend to seriously flood Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

On the upside, the weather is, of course, great most of the year. No income tax makes up for the high costs (but that will possibly become less of a factor when you retire). Travel in and out is great with MIA, FLL and PBI having excellent connections to everywhere (I fly 100K+ miles a year, so it's important to me). Diving is great. In 15 mins, I can be on a boat doing wrecks and reefs. Within 60-90 mins, Jupiter, West Palm, Fort Lauderdale and the keys are easily accessible. If you want to be an everyday diver without having to live in a remote place, it's a diver's paradise down here. Boat dives, shore dives, shark dives, a million wrecks and more. And, of course, you can't dive 24/7, so there are lots of other year-round options to keep you busy.

Suburban to rural non coastal areas in NE to Central FL.
Fernandina to Daytona up to the panhandle. Not too close to major city centers.
Keys are 6-8 hours.
SFL in 4-6 hrs
Panhandle has good diving.
NC about 8 hrs.
SC about 6 hrs.
Springs and caves maybe 2-3 hrs.
Morlando and Jax intl airports.
Wrecks, lobster, spearing, springs, fossils and artifacts all nearby.
Close proximity to many crusty old SBers who love to dive.
I've met and dove with a couple dozen over the years.
Close to Mickey, Kong and Shamu for thrills and chills.
Low taxes.
Tons of National, state and local parks.
Our income is roughly indexed to the local cost of living by market forces so no place is really out of reason for us and we settled here in Jax area and haven't considered moving.

Cuba?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom