Best Roatan Resort for Non-Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wife and I are also headed there in Feb. We will be staying at CoCo View. They are trying to do more to accomidate non-divers from what we have read from e-mails sent back and forth between the new owners wife (a non-diver) and my wife who does not dive either. I think the wife may be more excited about the trip than I am. I am sure looking forward to this though.

Later, Hawk.

Hawk:
The wife and I are also headed there in Feb. We will be staying at CoCo View. They are trying to do more to accomidate non-divers from what we have read from e-mails sent back and forth between the new owners wife (a non-diver) and my wife who does not dive either. I think the wife may be more excited about the trip than I am. I am sure looking forward to this though.

Later, Hawk.

The new owners wife Elizabeth is a diver. I dove with her and her son Wade 3 weeks ago. Any non diving activity you want to do can be arranged through the activities office at the resort. They have just installed a satallite dish for the TV upstairs. They have a bookshelf full of books and games and puzzles. Pool table,& ping pong table. You can arrange a tour of the beach houses on Playa Miguel. Off site you can go on the Canopy tour,dolphin snorkel,or several other tours.

Can't wait to go back next year. Have fun.

My wife and I are in the position and are concidering Island Pearl. Small but seems very nice. Has anyone stayed there and has review? We both do alot of snorkeling is this area good for that? Thanks JOE

champ:
If I was a non-diver, I would not want to go to an all inclusive. It is nice to have more variety and places to explore. I would say West Bay (next to west end - walking distance) would be the ideal spot. They have lots of nice hotels and restaurants on a nice beach. Also you are real close to all the dive spots. You can negotiate your dives down to $15/dive(one tank).

West End Village I think is a better option The kid dives. She had a choice of 9 or so dive shops to use - all within walking distance of the hotel room. I'm the non diver and I don't like all inclusives. I don't like my activities and mealtimes scheduled for me. I prefer to eat breakfast about 6:30 a.m. That often doesn't fit into the schedule at all inclusives. Rudy's in West End opens at 6:30 (the place to go for banana pancakes) or I had a bowl of cereal in my room since we had a kitchenette.

I prefer photography, horseback riding, and biking to canned entertainment such as"dolphin shows" and professional "Garifuna" entertainment. When not engaged in shore based hobbies, I spent time relaxing in the porch hammock reading, writing a travelogue for publication in a club newsletter, or checking out other shops and hotels for futire trips to the island. There was a paperback book exchange at Sueno del Mar dive shop - take in a book, trade for one of theirs type thing - when I was there in July 2003.

West End Village has car, moped, and bicycle rental places for those not inclined to participate in water sports. Kayaks and snorkel gear was also available at many of the dive shops and/or hotels. The beaches at West Bay are a short water taxi ride away from West End Village. At least two of the restaurants in West End show DVD's once or twice a week in the evenings- admission generally includes a beverage of choice. There are two convenciece/grocery stores in West End Village as well as the requisite souvenir shops and a wide variety of restuarants. Since we had a kitchenette, we did breakfast and lunch most days in our room. There were also several places offering internet service for those who absolutely HAVE to stay connected to the outside world.

BTW, the kid had her hair put in corn rows by a Garifuna woman. It cost $20, the woman told me she charges the all inclusive guests at FIBR or AKR $35-$40 for the same thing, same hair length.

Ok, I am confused. Who are Terry and Lynn then? The people who run Roatan Charter? This is who my wife was e-mailing back and forth. Oh well, not the first, or I'm sure not the last, time of me being confused.

Anyway I am so looking forward to going and getting to dive in water that you don't need a suit of armor to get in without freezing!

Later, Hawk.

Hawk:
Ok, I am confused. Who are Terry and Lynn then? The people who run Roatan Charter? This is who my wife was e-mailing back and forth. Oh well, not the first, or I'm sure not the last, time of me being confused.

Anyway I am so looking forward to going and getting to dive in water that you don't need a suit of armor to get in without freezing!

Later, Hawk.

Terry & his wife Jaki run Roatan Charter. He is the son of Mr Bill & Miss Ev (previous owners & founders of CCV).

Carl & Elizabeth Midkiff are the new owners of CCV.

It is always nice to be a little less confused. Thanks!

Later, Hawk.

I My husband & I just returned from Roatan on Saturday. We stayed at AKR.LOVED IT!!!!We are divers though. No pool there. But you can snorkle,horseback ride,swim with the dolphins. Mayan Princess is new and VERY nice. Has a beautiful pool.You can see it on line! Brand NEW. Luna beach is nice, but has a tiny pool.Not too many pools there. AKR is building one next year, so they say.If you have specific questions e mail me because I can go on forever.Lots of things I wish I knew before we left!!Its very laid back in Roatan.Good food, islanders are wonderful!!!

For a non diver, the best place is AKR. There is so much to do there....horseback riding, the dolphins, jungle canopy swing, kayaking, designated snorkel boat. There's a little village right behind the resort. YOu can rent scooter there. For peace of mind, one of the best things about AKR is that there is a doctor right there. I love AKR and plan on going back soon.

Have fun,
SWT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom