Best set of doubles for ow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic_Diver

Scubaboard Enthusiast
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i currently use double lp 108 for all my diving... Is there a better set of doubles for ow? What do you use?

The best set is the one with the correct amount of gas for the dive and is relatively easy to have neutral for a safety/deco stop nearly empty.

You may get more useful responses if you give more information about the environment and types of dives you are looking at, as well as your typical exposure protection.

E7-100s are hard to beat. Good for two OW no/short deco dives at depths to 130 ft.
Weight is no more than double AL80's and they are not overly negative.

It really depends on the dives you are doing, as well as your own body size and shape.

I dive LP85s in salt water, but my idea of a deep dive is 120 for 25, and O2 deco, and the 85s cover my gas needs and my rock bottom neatly. If you are 6'3" and doing 150 foot dives, they might not have adequate margins. My buddy dives HP130s, which have enough gas in them for any T1 dive and many T2 dives, but I don't think I could stand up in them.

What you don't want is very short tanks on a person with a long torso, or very negative tanks as doubles.

For me
Single 72 or 80 for 0-100
Single 125 for 50-110
Old steel 72's for 75-110
twin 80's for 90-140
twin 100's for 120-190
twin 130's for 150-250

You first have to plan how deep and how long you are going. Then it is addition for the correct amount of gas that you need.

I don't particularly like to carry two dives worth of air on on my back for an OW dive, but I do want the redundancy and trim of small doubles. I most often dive with double 40s. I have several sets and just swap between dives. The trim and low profile is great. If I need more air, I dive triple 40s (or a rebreather).

The best set is the one with the correct amount of gas for the dive and is relatively easy to have neutral for a safety/deco stop nearly empty.
How true!!

I prefer ones like these

Cartoon_2.JPG

For cold water diving up here in Canada with a dry suit, I like HP 100's as I need no weight on the belt due to their buoyancy characteristics negative 8 when full, negative 2.5 empty, only down side can be difficult to get a complete fill at 3440 PSI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom