Best shore snorkeling & good diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
I'm stocking you just to look at your Avs :D
:lol: :lol: :shakehead

The islands of Saipan, Tinian , and Rota have lots of great shoe dive sights and snorkeling. The local dive shops have put ropes in the cuts in the reef to pull ones self in and out during tide changes.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific

Thanks for the suggestions.

We are looking very seriously at Bonaire for next summer. Seems to have good snorkeling for me and shore diving for him that maybe we can do together.

I'm a little concerned about the shore entries on what appear to be mainly rocky beaches on Bonaire. I really don't want to get beat up by the surf and smashed on rocks or coral. Many of the entries look kind of rough from some pictures I've seen and things I've read; apparently not too many easy sandy entries there. Maybe it's deceiving in pictures? I'm still a newbie snorkeler so should I be worried?

Thanks.

pword:
I'm a little concerned about the shore entries on what appear to be mainly rocky beaches on Bonaire. I really don't want to get beat up by the surf and smashed on rocks or coral. Many of the entries look kind of rough

On a scale of 1-10, about a 5-6 depending upon the waves.

from some pictures I've seen and things I've read; apparently not too many easy sandy entries there.

Correct.

Maybe it's deceiving in pictures? I'm still a newbie snorkeler so should I be worried?

Thanks.

Not worried at all if you are a trained snorkeler. Not to be harsh (but it's so easy for me), understand that snorkeling is just more than drawing breath through a tube. Maybe a PADI type snorkeler course when you are in Bonaire?

Shore dive entries are pretty easy once you have seen the tricks. They are all but impossible to describe here.

My easiest way to do a shore dive in Bonaire, and I can assure you that lugging all that top heavy gear through broken coral and surf/surge is no picnic... it's to wear heavy booties or "wet shoes" out to 5fsw, changing into flips there and tuck the reef shoes in my BC.

It aint easy, but then again, it wouldn't be so worth it i it was! Bonaire is worth the hassle, get professional advice on the spot- right there.

Back
Top Bottom