Best smallcraft for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By small what do you mean? While I like RIBs but once above 16 feet I prefer a regular glass hulled boat. Of course the regular small boat I prefer is a Boston Whaler, unsinkable (engine remains above water and running), self bailing, high resale, relatively expensive, seaworthy. A 17 to 22 foot Whaler can be used offshore and are good dive boats. Whalers Commerical Division actually makes three dive boats with removable sections in the side with a ladder built in. In a Whaler the side can be removed because the boat will not sink even if cut into two pieces.

All that aside, inflatible boats in the 12 to 18 foot range are awfully capable and larger ones are brutish machines suitable for big water. They are also very expensive but so are fiberglass boats much beyond 24 feet. A Boston Whaler Outrage 190 can run 35,000 dollars, the 24 footer is probably closing in on 100,000 dollars.

You might consider a kayak, mine cost 650 dollars, not telling what my Outrage 190 cost and I do have a 14 foot inflatible and I forget what it cost.

Offshore boats are generally outboard powered, there are many reasons, lighter, more powerful, built for marine ops, able to remain running when a boat is swamped, fuel efficient--also expensive, maintenence intensive. In warmer areas center consoles in the 17 to 24 range are super popular for diving and fishing, in cooler areas a cuddy is nice I imagine. If you must trailer any distance I recommend staying close to 20 feet give or take.

Consider another thing, my Outrage 190 with Merc Optimax 150 burns 5.0 GPH at approx 24 MPH if I recall correctly and 6.0 GPH at close to 30 MPH. It carries 60 gallons of fuel. Now, I suppose you have heard fuel could hit four dollars per gallon this summer?! In any case I think we will see three dollars per gallon. That is 180 dollars to fill up plus oil plus fuel for towing with my 06 Tacoma DC. Now move up to a 24 foot with twin 150s, Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton to tow with and I think you see the additional out of pocket expense--plus---the large vehicle costs money year around to own--even when not towing. Just some things to consider. N

Everything Nemrod posted is right on the mark ...consider this also. With the price of fuel going up ..here in SoCal it is 3 bucks at the street pumps ..fuel docks are pushing 3.50-4.00. Alot of folks will be dumping their boats this yr. This is a perfect time to buy the most boat you can afford for a discount.

Last yr I bought a 20' cuddy/walk from a buddy, it is by far the best purchase I made in a while. Deep discount and the boat is a diving machine since I have added all the right gear to it. Also take into account with a quality used vessel you won't be so timid to add all the gear you'll need to dive from it.

A final thought on a used rig ...it will be one less boat scrapped and sent to a land fill. New boats are very expensive ....then again all boats are expensive. Keep in mind you are going to want to add and take off gear to your boat, adding a thrue-hull sonar transducer can be expensive not to mention traumatic..drilling holes in you transom can be traumatic ... adding gear to the console etc...is traumatic on a new boat ...OTH a used boat ...eh no big deal. New boats are a beautiful thing but remember diving is a heavy gear sport and banging tanks around, humping gear over the gunwals, just general diving can get messy ...how much pain can you take from all the above beating your boat up.

DeltaDiver:
Hello,
I have recently been looking for a small boat to use for offshore dives. It must be able to endure light to medium chop well and have easy exit/entrance points, preferably with a swim/dive platform. Would you offer some suggestions by make and model of boats you prefer or would recommend?

If your only boat consideration is diving, I would recommend a center console. You will have the most room for gear stowage, best visibility of divers around the boat, etc. Grady White is considered the best. There are many other good manufacturers as well.

If you have additional boating interests such as overnighting, bathroom, more protection from the elements, etc. I would recommend a cruiser. Sea Ray is considered the best for this design. I prefer Bayliner as the very best bang for the buck. I've had a 19' cuddy cruiser for 7 seasons with no problems beyond usual annual maintenance. I use mine hard - 23 miles offshore at my farthest dive site loaded to the gunwales with dive gear and supplies for a weekend stay at a nearby island.

Be well equipped regardless of what you choose.

--Matt

I don't know that Grady White is best. "Best" is an opinion. Best often depends on the region. Different regions often have favorite brands. Here is something, the Navy Seals, Coast Guard, most law enforcement use Boston Whalers, I wonder why they don't think Grady White is best? or Bay Liner? Just today on FOX news, a clip on port security, I saw three patrol Boston Whalers. Just recently on my trip to Florida I saw another--patrolling near a famous "land mark" (not saying because that is why they are patrolling) with an odd tarp like thing covering over something mounted to the bow---hmmmm.
Of course, more and more, large RIBs are overtaking glass boats for severe duty work. Huge bouyancy and less damage when run into things but I wonder how they float when shot full of fifty caliber holes are rammed.
Go to birbariemarine.com and then under Why Whaler and then look for the link on images and videos to see a BW run over by a bulldozer and then "the other guys" run over---splat. See also the other guys supposedly unsinkable hull sink and then view some other cool clips, just if you want to. N

Nemrod:
I don't know that Grady White is best. "Best" is an opinion. Best often depends on the region. Different regions often have favorite brands. Here is something, the Navy Seals, Coast Guard, most law enforcement use Boston Whalers, I wonder why they don't think Grady White is best? or Bay Liner? Just today on FOX news, a clip on port security, I saw three patrol Boston Whalers. Just recently on my trip to Florida I saw another--patrolling near a famous "land mark" (not saying because that is why they are patrolling) with an odd tarp like thing covering over something mounted to the bow---hmmmm.
Of course, more and more, large RIBs are overtaking glass boats for severe duty work. Huge bouyancy and less damage when run into things but I wonder how they float when shot full of fifty caliber holes are rammed.
Go to birbariemarine.com and then under Why Whaler and then look for the link on images and videos to see a BW run over by a bulldozer and then "the other guys" run over---splat. See also the other guys supposedly unsinkable hull sink and then view some other cool clips, just if you want to. N

JD Power does the most survey's of boat owners for these purposes. They also have the most historical data. GW and Sea Ray are voted the best based on their survey's.

I agree the anecdotal references that most have in terms of which is "best" are regional.

--Matt

I like OE2X have to chime in for a Zodiac. You sure get a lot of boat for your bucks. Mine is just a little 15'5" C-5. It does everything I want it to do and will go places I don't. In fact last weekend I had it out in the worst weather I ever have. Thank God for dry suits and hoods because we needed them just for the ride out to the dive site.

Charles.

PS: OE2X, do you have one of those CZ7's? Do you have a picture of you dive boat?

I have a 19ft key west with a 140 hp suzuki engine, love it and it serves me well out here on the reefs

Aquanautchuck:
PS: OE2X, do you have one of those CZ7's? Do you have a picture of you dive boat?

Of course he does...He wouldn't do anything on the cheap...:D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom