Best spot to add 4lbs to a single tank BP/W besides the waist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you're referring to dump-able weight pockets attached to the BC with Velcro, not the XS scuba type that threads on the waist-belt or cam band, and has a Velcro closure. The XS scuba pockets only hold one weight each, the Velcro is not holding the weight in place (it's not on the bottom unless you're upside down) and are very reliable.
I think that we are talking about the same pockets. If we are, those pockets hold up to 5lbs each. With everything that I've seen, a lot of divers are just getting gear and don't necessarily think about mounting and asking questions. I've seen divers entering the water with those pockets facing down instead of up which is a potential problem. Even when facing up I've seen divers doing head first, feet up in the air (can't make this up) descents which can lead to a weight falling out and lastly I've seen divers get in all different positions underwater which can lead to the same scenario. All in all divers will continue to use them, my preference is to use a style that doesn't rely solely on Velcro.

Good grief! We're talking about the possibility (very, very, very, very small IMO) of losing a small 2-3 lb. trim weight due to it being stashed in a Velcro trim weight pocket. I bet that a lot of divers out there are diving "heavy" by a couple of extra pounds anyway.

Sadly, if you think buying Halcyon gear is going to keep you safe while you dive, you have fallen for their marketing propaganda hook, line, and sinker. I completely disagree with your comment that I bold-faced in the above quote. Furthermore, IMO I don't think that Halcyon makes anything that's "best in class." (OK, maybe I'll concede that their webbing harness material is quite good.)

I don't say that Halcyon is 'best-in-class' universally, but I do say their weight systems are 'best-in-class'.

Losing 2 or 4 lbs IS a big deal, I know this from personal experience when I was newly certified, and had a Cozumel DM override me and use his personal 'professional' experience to say I needed somewhat less weight than I knew I needed.....the difference between our opinions was only about 2 - 4 lbs, and I ended up doing my safety stop standing on my head finning straight down to stay underwater....lesson learned!

I stand by my statement that scuba is a very expensive sport (especially if one has to fly to dive) and that the cost difference between the Halcyon weight systems versus a typical velcro based weight system is so microscopic in the grand scheme of things, amd the consequences of a weight system failure potentially so severe, that $ really shouldn't be an issue at all!

I think that we are talking about the same pockets. If we are, those pockets hold up to 5lbs each. With everything that I've seen, a lot of divers are just getting gear and don't necessarily think about mounting and asking questions. I've seen divers entering the water with those pockets facing down instead of up which is a potential problem.
Yeah, Wayne and mattboy. We're all talking about the same weight pockets. I can see how mounting them facing down might be an issue. I've never seen anyone try that before, though. Seems like a great way to injure your foot or someone else's.
I don't say that Halcyon is 'best-in-class' universally, but I do say their weight systems are 'best-in-class'.
@scubafanatic: By "weight systems" are you also referring to the ACB system? I think their weighted STA is kind of nifty, but the ACB pockets, meh.
Losing 2 or 4 lbs IS a big deal, I know this from personal experience when I was newly certified, and had a Cozumel DM override me and use his personal 'professional' experience to say I needed somewhat less weight than I knew I needed.....the difference between our opinions was only about 2 - 4 lbs, and I ended up doing my safety stop standing on my head finning straight down to stay underwater....lesson learned!
I realize the point of your story is that losing 2-4 lbs. is a big deal. Depending on how you weight yourself, I guess it could make you a little uncomfortable during a safety stop. I would hope that your buddy wouldn't just be laughing at you while you were inverted. I suspect that if he had given you a helping hand, it would have made a big difference.

I guess I'm weird. I probably do my weight check differently than you. Since I'm diving a drysuit most of the time, if I lose a trim weight, it's no big deal. I would simply dive with a little less air in my suit. Moreover, I almost always finish a dive with more than 1000 psi in my HP100. The extra weight that I dive with allows me to stay warmer during my safety stop.
I stand by my statement that scuba is a very expensive sport (especially if one has to fly to dive) and that the cost difference between the Halcyon weight systems versus a typical velcro based weight system is so microscopic in the grand scheme of things, amd the consequences of a weight system failure potentially so severe, that $ really shouldn't be an issue at all!
You are entitled to spend your money the way you see fit. Consider this, though. If you really feel that losing a small trim weight is so dangerous, then why not secure the trim weight with something a little beefier than a plastic clip? Or are you willing to bet your life on a piece of plastic?

I agree with you that scuba is an expensive sport. No argument there.

As with all things Halcyon, those trim weight pockets are way overpriced. The sad part is there aren't any blue H's adorning the pockets, so people don't know you paid a lot for them. :wink:

mine do, so those in the know know I have more money than sense?:wink:

PS which is not why I bought them, I like the small size...and have more money than sense lol.

For the OP I use two on the top cam band snugged up close to/against the plate, around a kg in each.

<snip>You are entitled to spend your money the way you see fit. Consider this, though. If you really feel that losing a small trim weight is so dangerous, then why not secure the trim weight with something a little beefier than a plastic clip? Or are you willing to bet your life on a piece of plastic?

I agree with you that scuba is an expensive sport. No argument there.

And let's not forget that if you use a plastic clip identical except for size on your harness, You're Gonna Die!:D

Guy (who has sufficient mental function to not mount his OMS velcro-only trim weight pockets upside down or descend vertically head down, and only dislikes them because they lack drain holes. Given a do-over, I'd go for the even cheaper XS Scuba ones. Using either with plastic-coated hard weights instead of soft weights means almost instant drying time)

Without getting into the velcro issue......

I use ScubaPro type tank straps.......this allows for two XS Scuba pouches on the top band as they don't have a "flap" end to try and tuck out of the way......

Hope this helps......M

@scubafanatic: Two more things that I forgot to mention:
  • You could have attempted to do the safety stop at a slightly deeper depth (approx. 20 fsw).
  • If you were expending yourself too much trying to maintain safety stop depth, you could have actually been doing more harm than good vis a vis DCS risk. Might have been better to forego the safety stop, ascend under control, and do an extended surface interval.
As with all things Halcyon, those trim weight pockets are way overpriced. The sad part is there aren't any blue H's adorning the pockets, so people don't know you paid a lot for them. :wink:
mine do, so those in the know know I have more money than sense?:wink:
@buddasummer: I just checked out the Halcyon website. It looks like a newer version of the trim pockets has come out in the last couple of years. The old version was all black with no "H"s on it. The newer version looks like a huge cosmetic upgrade. Kudos to Halcyon for catering to the needs of its customers. :D

I'm another fan of the XS Scuba pouches on the tank strap pushed in as far as possible to wards the BP. Use them to take 10# off my weight belt. I then fine tune with the weight belt.

Because I Abalone dive as well as diving with different tanks and rigs, when I needed more than two weight belts I switched to pocket type belts and just change weights. The first ones were zipper types and a year and a half ago I got the XS Scuba pouch weight belt. Because of the weight I have to use I just drop the belt which seems to wear them out faster but saves my back. The XS Scuba seems to be holding up well so far.

As to the Velcro "issue", Abalone diving requires a surface dive headfirst to the abalone, I scuba dive to depth the same way unless the dive plan is different and have never lost a weight. The trick is to take the time to make sure the Velcro is connected, this will make it harder to undo later but big deal. Next use old style square 5# weights where possible because they don't want to go in and they don't want to come out. Lastly, when the Velcro gets old and doesn't hold properly, replace it; the design seems robust but poor maintenance will always screw you.

If the rain and stormy weather keeps up out here and I am forced to dive the pool because I have to get in the water I'll try diving head down and see what it takes to drop the weights.

Bob
-----------------------------------
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom