Best Suunto prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
Have you been there too (? It's as big as a small Walmart.

I think you're asking about Diver Supply here.?

I've been to a few of their stores (Marietta GA, Florida City, Macon Georgia). What you see in their catalog is EXACTLY what is in their store. hardly anything else. The smaller stores are just like regular LDS's. THeir Macon GA store is the same only bigger. But still only stuff that's in their catalog. (I guess I had "higher expectations" of a dive superstore).

I've been to the DIvers Direct in Key Largo, Key West, and FLorida City. The Key Largo store is pretty huge, but a lot of the store is taken up by clothing sales, etc. They have a pretty decent tent sale over 4th of July sometimes. you can get good deals at it. The Florida City and Key West stores have the same stuff, just in a more compact(smaller) setting.

wardric:
you forgot F or C Polly :wink:

:11doh: You got me.... forgot that one.

Oh Polly that is priceless. Gee I wonder why he loves his ebay so much.
Yes ebay is wonderful, for sellers fencing stolen property :D
scubapolly:
Hmmm... Do you make money off of SCUBA gear sold on ebay?

I once bought some fake Chanel boots on ebay for $40.00. I knew they were fake but they were so hot. Not a bad place to get ripped off on clothes either...

tribaltim:
I love my D6....

I was reading about the new deep stop algorithm it uses. Is it easy to read?

I'm new to this board--been lurking here for the past month or so every couple of days. I'm not new to diving, but I don't dive much and only recently decided to finally buy my own equipment.

Regarding computers, I decided on a Suunto. From what I have read here, I have learned that the majority of on-line dealers are not authorized to sell in the U.S. and thus sell gray-market goods, i.e., computers that Suunto intended for sale in other countries that have made their way into the US, and thus do not have U.S. warranties.

My question: I travel to Asia sometimes. What if I buy a Suunto computer there, where it is less expensive? It is not considered gray market, because I did not import it for resale, just my own use. I have to believe Suunto USA (or whatever their USA arm is called) would honor the warranty and service my computer if it were to need servicing, and that I am not expected to return it to Asia for servicing. Correct?

Of course, I have no idea why I am so worried about warranty service just because this is a dive computer. I've bought cameras, computer stuff, and whatever over there before, and the whole issue of warranty service never even entered into my decision. Only now, when I read the threads here that go on and on about on-line versus LDS purchase, did I develop this paranoia. Obviously, the issue is not unique to dive equipment. But all of a sudden, I'm worried about it. Whether it's my dive computer or laptop that goes on the fritz a year or two from now--after the warranty expires--I'm going to have to PAY someone to fix it anyway. How long is a Suunto warranty anyway? I've rarely had the good fortune to have anything serviced under warranty, because if there is a problem, Murphy's Law says it generally happens after the warranty expires.

I'm rambling. Discuss.

i buy oceanic computers just becuase of the waranty. if it dies after i get 5 yerars out if it for a mere 85 bucks i can have it refurbished and its just like getting a new computer.
i have had a prodigy for the past 12 years and have had it refurbished twice.
pretty good deal i think.

Okay, sorry--I think I answered my own question. Warranty info is available on the Suunto web site. Suunto says that, in order to receive warranty service, one must return the product to the store where it was purchased. That's ridiculously inconvenient for many people. So, even if I purchased it while on vacation elsewhere in my own country, I'd have to ship it back to that store. From suunto.com:

"You can have service everywhere around the world where we have official Suunto retailers, distributors and service centers. You will though be charged for local labor and possible shipment costs but not for used spare parts for warranty repairs. You also have to be able to proof that your warranty is valid. In order to have free of charge warranty service you have to return you products to the retailer from where you have bought your product as described in the section "How to return my Suunto to warranty service?"

Lorenzoid:
Okay, sorry--I think I answered my own question. Warranty info is available on the Suunto web site. Suunto says that, in order to receive warranty service, one must return the product to the store where it was purchased. That's ridiculously inconvenient for many people. So, even if I purchased it while on vacation elsewhere in my own country, I'd have to ship it back to that store. From suunto.com:

"You can have service everywhere around the world where we have official Suunto retailers, distributors and service centers. You will though be charged for local labor and possible shipment costs but not for used spare parts for warranty repairs. You also have to be able to proof that your warranty is valid. In order to have free of charge warranty service you have to return you products to the retailer from where you have bought your product as described in the section "How to return my Suunto to warranty service?"

What if the authorized dealer is out of business later? So, Suunto basically isn't international warranty like ScubaPro does.... Hmm~~~ Interesting...:wink: I didn't know that.

Back
Top Bottom