Best Thing you have seen!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh bloomin heck ¬.¬
Why do people like to twist things..it's just a question =\! didnt mean to make it "not clear!"

And its just a general topic to get people talking ¬.¬

Never mind if you think it's difficult

Greetings Kelly and great question with some really awesome posts. For me it was easy as it was just a few weeks ago I watched my 12 year old daughter complete her JOW. It was magic to watch her underwater because it looked like she was at home. So peaceful it was really moving for me. I am not sure if anyone will understand unless you have been there. We even went for a pleasure dive after her last check out dive.
It was if she had been diving all along. Proud father yes, but more than that I could tell she now understands my love for diving. By far the greatest, but there are many many more good experiences to many to list! Enjoy diving all and share it with your loved ones it is unbelievable to watch them fall in love with it as well.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Whale Shark. Doesn't get much better than that.

Dove Vanishing Rock in the BVI as a night dive with Jon, a great DM from the Cuan Law, and Nancy, the nervous new diver wearing rainbow socks. There was a full moon so the three of us took a quick tour around the area to familiarize ourselves and then turned out our dive lights. Jon led with Nancy in the middle and me at the tail keeping an eye on Nancy. Dove in the so-called dark for about 30 minutes and found two huge turtles that were approaching the size of VW Bugs. It was just an amazing dive. And nervous Nancy the newbie came up with a lot more confidence.

2 Marlin cruising by while drifting a safety stop in Mexico

Less than once a century does the full moon reach its zenith exactly when lobster season opens in Southern California. The last time was October 7, 1987. Catalina Island was glass flat. I hated the "Scuba Queen" for her noxious diesel fumes, but her skipper knew all the best spots, before the days of GPS.

I was hell-bent to be the first in and waited for the anchor to drop. My regular buddy - we worked in film production together - was Pat Daily. Now Pat, being a "Key Grip" who had much earlier worked part time at New England Divers in LA, never dove without hauling along his custom-built Halliburton double-decker tackle-box save-a-dive "kit." Ahem. Most LDS workbenches pale by comparison (Pat would later be the "key" on Forrest Gump, Air Force One, etc.). For their day, our Darrell Allen Bug Diver-400s were the brightest dive lights commonly available.

An "older" diver, whose girlfriend was bubble watching, seemed to be looking for a buddy team to join. But for Pat and me, "buddy" diving usually meant same ocean, same day. And certainly no "Insta-Buddies" on opening night! Lobster dives were our exception to the "rules," since buddies can help with the bag, ensuring that no lobsters miss dinner.

Well, Pat and I made an exception for this Insta-Buddy. We "guessed" he was competent and could handle unpredictable situations.
Astronaut Buzz Aldrin was asking us early-30 whippersnappers if he could join us. Wow. After a fast brief I jumped first.

Our goal of bringing home lobsters was a bust. Lots of legal bugs could be seen, but none were reachable. But we did see gazillions of recently hatched baby lobsters, their eyes retro-reflecting iridescent red like nighttime road signs. Hundreds hunkered under each small ledge.

I turned off my light, lay down, and looked up through the kelp. I could clearly see the moon through the glass-flat surface. I could even make out details in the moon's "oceans," sometimes magnified as a bulge of water ebbed 30 to 40 feet overhead. Dr. Aldrin had walked around up there just 18 "earth solar orbits" ago. And now...

Simultaneously, I felt like an infinitely insignificant speck in the vast universe, and enormously privileged.

Dr. Aldrin and Lois were married 4 months later.

it's a hard question! but there's one scene that probably sticks with me the most...

While doing a class dive (AOW) at Catalina, we encountered a leopard shark. Up until that point, I always thought seeing a shark would be something out of the Jaws movie, but when I finally saw one, I was just hit by how graceful it moved. There was a number of schools of smaller fish all swimming along after the leopard shark, and it looked like a freeway system with fish streaming in and out via "on-ramps" & "off-ramps", the leopard shark in the lead. The whole scene just took my breath away.

There's not a best really for me but to answer the question I suppose it would be the encounter with two 6 gill sharks simultaneously within touching range 10 foot (approx 800 lb) sharks at night. But really, any memorable u/w sighting could be the "best" depending on my mood at the time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom