Best Thing you have seen!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Wife smiling at me thru her regulator while on a dive during vacations.

I've posted before, but my new 'Best Thing' is the half dozen hammerheads I saw on a sea mount dive in the Sea of Cortez, last week. Got so excited, I forgot to take pictures.

It's an insanely hard question. Even in a short few years diving my mind's been blown countless times. But perhaps my favourite time was this:

Maldives, couple years back at a hammerhead site at around 6am in the morning. No hammerheads showing. In the blue. Just hanging. Nothing - I mean nothing - to see. And then I looked a little closer. Peering directly down into the blue (we were at approx 25m) were these beautiful - I mean beautiful - little blue lights and purple lights. Some kind of tiny bioluminescent algae or plankton or something. Looking at them was so beautiful. So I reached out to touch one (there were hundreds ) and lo and behold - it disappeared. ???? I did it to another. It disappeared too. After playing this game several times over I could see what was happening and I've yet to see cuter me lovely behaviour: when my hand got close, the organisms (i.e. whatever they were) turned their lights off pronto - and then did a little comic sideways shimmy to get away from these large outstretching hands. It was totally comic and totally lovely to behold. I spent pretty much the rest of my diving playing with my new little buddies.

Oh, and the hammerheads showed up too and that was fun but nowhere near as much as these tiny blue and purple cowards :)

J

Wow.. reading all of these [and watching video] has been awesome! My greatest.. was my first month after being certified back in the 80's. The most heart stopping and swe inspiring moment.. and I can't even fathom anything that could be better.

A resident pod of Orca's.. surrounding a pregnant female and her giving birth right there bearly 70 feet from me. To watch as another female took that baby up to the surface for a first breath was just magic. Even the birth of my own children was not this magical.

I've seen a lot of beauty in the deep.. but ... I can't even imagine anything more beautiful or humbling.

The best thing I ever saw was when my wife and I were swimming at perfect bouyancy connected at the waist (stop that now) in Bonaire. The reef had fingers and we were sailing up and down through them (quit!).

The next might have been the :eek:ctopus: at night free swimming in our lights.:D

The Best ??? so many dives and only one thing. OK

Diving on the rocks at Ponce Inlet just below Daytona Fla. I seen some big fish they scared me a little (I was somewhat a new diver) so I stayed away for a while till I got comfortable. I later was laying on the bottom with over 100 very large Snook around me. I was in the center and they were around and behind me like I was the leader. The formation was like a cone with me in the center and the front row curved forward in front of me. I layed there on my belly with my chin in my hands and my elbows on the bottom. I was there around 45 min. I thought to my self how many people experience this.

Dove Ponce inlet today (on My way to DEMA). I was breaking open mussels and feeding a couple Sheepheads 10 pound or more They were eatting right out of my hand. Awsome!

I don't have many dives under my belt, so it's easy for me. My son and I were in the growth covered pilings under an oil platform. I looked up and back at him, about 15 feet away. The pilings looked like a Greek garden. Shafts of sunlight coming through the structure were illuminating him as he floated effortlessly in the middle of school of a couple hundred spadefish. It was surreal, to say the least. Quite a memory for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom