Best time of year to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today, with the appearance of the invasive Asian seaweed Sargassum horneri, that has changed. During periods of warm water, late fall through late spring can be lousy times to dive if the Sargassum is dominating the landscape. This has serious impacts on the entire ecosystem. If water temperatures have been cool, the giant kelp may dominate with the Sargassum limited to an understory species. I find fall to be about the best time to dive these days although I enjoy a lot of night diving during the summer months and into late fall...
Dr. Bill - you need to get off your little island more often! The kelp forests in spots here look thicker than they have been for several years, turning daytime dives into nighttime. Come on over and dive with us one of these days

We can't even get to a couple of our favorite sites in Palos Verdes because the kelp is so thick right now. Not that that is a bad thing, but it would be nice to have a little of that warm water Catalina and Laguna Beach experienced last year. I can't remember the last time I was in water warmer than 53°.

I think the very best time of year to dive is right after you get some new cool ass gear ;~)

Dr. Bill - you need to get off your little island more often! The kelp forests in spots here look thicker than they have been for several years, turning daytime dives into nighttime. Come on over and dive with us one of these days

I don't think I could tolerate it there diving in my 3/2mm wetsuit (as I have here all winter)

I don't think I could tolerate it there diving in my 3/2mm wetsuit (as I have here all winter)
The walk to the dive site and swim out should keep you plenty warm, even in your tropical dive attire. Water was mid-60s last Saturday. All that kelp provides plenty of warmth, too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom