Best time of year to go to Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a best time of year to go to Fiji? I know their summers (Dec-Mar) are when water is warmest, but is that better or worse for vis? I think I read in someone's trip report that vis was better when water was colder.
How about current? Is that affected by time of year?
We have been talking about going to Fiji for a couple of years. We ended up going to Palau in Dec 2007 instead of Fiji because of a work conflict... so now we are back looking at Fiji.
Anybody got any hints?
We are looking at both Wananavu and Beqa Lagoon, heard such great things about both from friends.

robin:D

Spent the first week of December 07 on the Fiji Aggressor. Water was not cold. Did 4-5 dives per day/night in my 3 mm and cap/gloves/booties. Never had a problem being cold. However, the current could and did come up, sometimes right in the middle of a dive. Got lots of exercise kicking on some of the dives that trip. Viz was extremely clear - and colors were almost unreal looking. Wish I was a better photographer, with my little point & shoot. Enjoy your trip.

I went late sept. into early oct. Vis was really nice and water temp was consistently 79F. I wore a full 3/2 mil, but a little more neoprene would have been more comfortable. Haven't been to beqa, but wananavu was great.

The official cyclone season runs Nov. to April so that's one thing you might consider.

I've read a lot of reports of people who went in January and said it rained nearly every day. This Jan. the islands had a lot of flooding.

thanks. I think I remember now that I read that the vis was better when water was colder because there was less rain/tropical storms. Makes sense.

That is correct. June/July are the driest months. That's when I'd want to return to Fiji.

I agree with diveborg. I did a lot of looking into this same issue and decided that July was the best date because it was the dry season. We went to Beqa Lagoon Resort in Jul 2007 for 10 days and it was fantastic!!! I would suggest that you spend at least 10 days since you are going such a long distance to get there. The weather was just about perfect for us when we were there, very little rain, good viz, calm waters, and stunning corals and reef life. We are going back next year and can't wait.

Here is a link to traveler reviews for Beqa Lagoon Resort: Beqa Lagoon Resort (Beqa Island, Fiji) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor. If you go, you must do the shark dive. I've been on a lot of shark dives and this was the best. It's the only dive where you can see 6-9 different sharks on the same dive. if you click on my photos link, you can see some of my pics from Fiji.

Regards,

Bill

We went in June 08 waters were 79 but I was comfortable in a full 3mm w/beanie...for us very little current on our trip but we were told that was unusual...we were on the Nai'a which IMO is the way to dive Fiji....the Bligh waters were awesome....we did stay at Wananavu for a few days before boarding the Nai'a nice resort but I wouldn't call it a "dive resort" diving from the resort was very good but not as great as once we boarded the Nai'a...diving was the best around Gau and Wakaya islands

Back
Top Bottom