Best value canister for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a guy selling these on eBAY both in single and video configurations.

As a Halogen light it looks about as good as it gets; for video with the white-card reflectors I bet its VERY nice.

You can build an inexpensive light from a c-cell mag-lite and canister with most of the parts available from the Home Depot (batteries included).

Extreme out.

I have the Dive Rite wreck series light also. Previously I had a Nite Rider. The Nite Rider is ok...as long as you are looking where you are going and don't look at your dive buddy(tends to upset them) My Nite Rider was a 10w Halogen and cast a fairly good beam for recreational diving. Unfortunately I went diving with a buddy who had an HID light(Green Force)...the difference was substantial.
I had to have an HID and have not looked back since. My light does not have the focusable head..I wish I could say that you don't need it...but if you have the money ...Buy IT! The difference between the two lights is amazing. I have the wet cell batteries and I get about 4hrs out of a charge. IMO if you can afford the slim line series get it...makes carrying a whole lot nicer. Get the NiMh batteries also..lighter and slightly better capacity.
I will say that the dive buddy who had the HID that originally turned me on to HID also has a 50W halogen that he takes on occassion. I find that his 50w is every bit as bright as my 10w HID...but it is somewhat bulkier and does not have the burn time of my HID.
I can't offer any tech specs on any of the info that I have stated ...just my opinion....I have about 75 dives so far and this is what I have found about lights in my short diving experience.
Hope it helps

So.....which would be best for a low vis lake type use? HID or Hal? For general dive use not photography.

Scott M:
So.....which would be best for a low vis lake type use? HID or Hal? For general dive use not photography.
HID no question....it is brighter and cuts through more of the muck...

see 2 u/w side by side, and there's no question.

Big-t-2538:
HID no question....it is brighter and cuts through more of the muck...

see 2 u/w side by side, and there's no question.
OK, thanks. I'll go back through the thread and look for recommendations. I have a UK light cannon I will sell. I think I would like the canister set up better.

don't forget to look at oxycheq...I think they have a deal on an HID right now....but I don't think the head is focusable.

FWIW I'm diving the cannon right now, and don't see the need yet to move to a can (mostly monetary reasons)

Big-t-2538:
don't forget to look at oxycheq...I think they have a deal on an HID right now....but I don't think the head is focusable.

FWIW I'm diving the cannon right now, and don't see the need yet to move to a can (mostly monetary reasons)
I've never been in the water with my LC, how do you like it?

I was looking at the canister because I thought it would be easier than carrying the LC. Maybe that is not really even an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom