Best way to tether camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used coil lanyards for years without a single problem. Wrist straps are actually a hazard.

Great ideas! I didn't even know this kinda' thing (the coiled line with the clips) existed. Definitely seems to be the right solution.

thanks!

Somewhere between NC and Africa is my DC1200 which was on a wrist strap.

I now use a coiled laynard with a clip at each end for my new DC1200. One end is firmly attached to the camera. The other to a clip on my right side. Camera is slighly buoyant. When I do not want to use camera I have it at my side with the laynard clipped short. when using the laynard is long and it is in my right hand.

Reel, SMB, and slung pony are on the left.

Camera is passed to and from the crew when entering the water. Never enter water from boat with camera.

doffrent opinion.. wrist strap only.

when i am not using it, it is in my hand, under full control. i would never clip it off as it will flap around unless you secure it with at least 2 connection points. too much clutter and hassle.

hold on to it.
giffenk, like you, when I've Nauticam/EM10 with me, it is in my hand at all times too. Even then, it is tethered to me with one of those Cetacea coil cords. That way I can let go of it and take off my mask and adjust it, for example.

But the OP is talking about an iphone in a little plastic housing. He isn't going to have the camera in his hand all the time.

Camera is passed to and from the crew when entering the water. Never enter water from boat with camera.

Actually, after two crew failures at two different times (and both with amazing happy endings) I no longer allow the crew to do anything with my camera until I have schooled them. And if they will not listen to me then they get to put up with me climbing the ladder with my camera upon re-entry and I now ALWAYS jump in giant stride with my camera. I clip in on the boat to my coiled tether. I do not unclip until back on the boat or once the crew gains my trust I will unclip at the moment their hands take the camera and I am sure they have a good grip.

Over the years I have had my Nikonos dropped on the deck smashing the filter ring on the 28mm UW lens. I have had twos strobes damaged, one beyond repair by crew dropping them. I have had two lenses returned for dome replacement due to being thrown in the "rinse" tank after having specifically stated to the crew to hold my camera for me and then hand it to me or to place it lens up on my towel (when there is a camera table).

But, back to my current rig, let's see, the crew tossed me my camera after I entered the water at their insistence rather than handing it to me and and the wet lens (high dollars) spent a couple of nights on the bottom all alone. This was a drift in about 60 plus feet, I went after it but lost it. The camera bounced on the platform before bouncing into my reaching hands minus the lens. But, to the great credit of the shop and grateful owner of said lens, it was returned to me and all is well with it. Then, on yet another trip, the whole thing deep sixed in 60 feet of water but at least this time we were not on a drift and I was able to find it.

On the first day in Cayman, a few weeks ago, after me clearly asking the crew not to put my camera in the "rinse" tank as soon as she took my camera after I had just told her specifically not to, she went and put it in the rinse tank. This made me very upset, so, for the first day and part of the next couple of days I climbed the ladder with the camera much to their aggravation and would not let them touch it. At some point they decided hauling me up the ladder with camera was more difficult than following my not particularly challenging request to hold it for me and not put it in the rinse tank.

So, yeah, I have been jumping in with my cameras for years. And if need be I will come aboard with it also. And anyone not like it then they can be up for replacing it. I realize nothing is guaranteed, especially with the sea, but really now!

My tether screws into the camera tray with a 1/4X20 thread swivel and is secured both my torque and Loctite 271. The other end is a stainless clip that goes to my crotch strap ring (scooter ring). When entering the water I make a giant stride and with my camera held in front of me as it comes to water level I begin to raise the camera until I am fully submerged or nearly so and the camera gently follows.

My GoPro rig is simpler, it has a wrist lanyard with a captive bolt snap additionally. I can clip it to a D ring when I become bored with it. I also have the GoPro 3-way selfie stick also fitted with a lanyard and a captive bolt snap.

N

Last edited:
I currently have a gopro mounted to the top of my torch and it works awsome I clip the torch off to my chest d ring when entering and exiting. I primarily shoot video of recks in the st. Lawrence seaway. But it is not difficult to take stills either.

good ideas

The OP is happy with the great coil/clip suggestions for his little iphone case. If you want to continue the discussion regarding larger format cameras and their associated pitfalls- by all means continue. But I'm good. :)

morey-my solution is camera clipped to chest strap Then tucked into waist strap when not in use.
Keeps you from snagging it on kelp or overhead enviroments.
to be honest that a personal thing because I hate gear flapping around in the "breeze'

Reel, SMB, and slung pony are on the left.

Any reason why not?

I currently run a Canon G16 in and ikelite housing with a Sola 800 on an arm. I have not have a single issue entering the the water from a boat, either with a back roll - or giant stride (normally about and 8'drop)

If it was a professional housing with a 5D and Strobes etc - that might be a different case

Just back from a diving weekend where its common for us to giant stride not only with the camera, but 2 side slung ponies (40cf) and a scooter (held nose down by the prop guard)

I never hand my camera up to crew before boarding the chance of it being dropped is too much of a risk.

I use the coiled bungee with clip - always been fine I hang it from a shoulder D-ring and either let it hang, hold it or cup it in my arms.

One important point. TO THE OP. make sure you weight your housing to neutral - sometimes you get a weight or the case manufacturer tells you the weight. floating cameras can be as big a pain as overweight ones

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom