Best wrist watch dive computer for the $? Suunto D9? Aeris Epic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool thanks for the info. I may have a lead on an OC1 so we will see if I decide to that route or not. The D9 and OC1 are on top of my life, the OC1 is a bit more $$$ though so we will see. The Aeris I can pick up for a lot less and the only downside I see is not having a digital compass...not a huge downside. Just means ill strap on a small console with an analog pressure guage and a compass to keep as a back up.

I like the idea of being able to easily monitor my wifes air as well as my own with the OC1.
Only down side is I think my wifes Aqua Lung Titan first stage only has one HP port (need to look) and I assume she would need 2 HP ports so she could use her own pressure gauge as well as have a wireless transmitter from my OC1 plugged into her 1st stage?

Last edited:
I have the Aeris Elite T3 hoseless watch style and to me, I don't think I could've purchased a better cpu to save my life... It does everything and has a large enough display that I look over at my wrist and BAM there it is. I tilt mine down a little towards my forearm so that it sits on the side of my arm instead of the top to make it viewable without tilting my arm. Its even got a plastic piece that sits on top of the screen about 1 mm above it that is see through for use as a bump/scratch protector that I was impressed with. Its removable too though if you don't like it for some reason, I don't know why you wouldn't like it though it works great and is practical. Another feature I like about it is that when your air time remaining reaches 0:00 instead of being out of air it has taken your depth, ascent time, breathing rate, safety stop, and ending air pressure all into account so that if you happen to reach 0:00 you don't have to freak out just slowly make your way to the surface watching your speed perform your 0:03 min. safety stop at 15ft. and then come up and when you reach the surface your air left in your tank will be at whatever psi you told it you wanted your ending air pressure to be at. Now that is cool to me. It also has a nitrogen bar you can keep an eye on and a ascent rate indicator and temp gauge and stores your info at whatever rate you set it to, like lets say 2 sec. for instance, every 2 sec. it takes like 8 different readings and stores them to the current dives log. So, then after you get home and hook it up to you pc you can analyze your dive profile with real data from every 2 sec. 5, 15, 30, 1min. intervals with cool stuff like temp at different depths how much pressure you had at that time what your nitrogen level was and even records any alarms you had and how long they went on for and all kinds of stuff making for a very informative dive log much more info then you would ever write down but alot more detailed too. So anyways I have one and it is IMHO the best one out there. But if you want the same features in a smaller display the Aeris Epic is the same exact features computer just smaller watch style display. I don't wear mine though unless I'm diving so I went with the NAVY SEAL style one. nice and big easy to use and see. Hope this helps. Oh and don't waste your money on a Suunto they are too conservative with the recreational dive planner charts they use giving you less dive time and they are way over priced you pay for the name. Do what I did write down on a piece of paper all the features you NEED in a computer then look around and take the extras as just perks not necessitys and evaluate your spending from that. That's how I did it. Again, mine is so awsome I love it.:D

D9 has been good to me. I can also recommend Vyper Air or Helo2.

I called Aqualung (US Suunto Distributor) and they stated LeisurePro is not an authorized US dealer. If you have an issue or if there is a recall it's on you and whatever LP will do for you. To be fair, I love LP and have dropped big cash with them as they have great deals. For a Reg or Computer (my opinion) I would try to go with a shop that is authorized to repair/replace if something bad happened.

Suunto is carried by REI and can be special ordered. No deals but you get your dividend if you are a member.

If you find a smoking deal from an authorized US dealer on a D9 please post. I'd be interested.

if there is a recall it's on you and whatever LP will do for you
LeisurePro will do for you what the manufacturer will do for you--they match the manufacturer's two-year warranty. My D9 was recalled. I returned it to the unauthorized dealer that sold it to me, Divetank, and it was repaired by Suunto with no problems at all.

The Suunto D9 I think I have ruled out since I would like to eventually be able to monitor my wifes air as well as my own and the Suunto will not allow me to do this.

I am now debating to buy the Oceanic ATOM 2.0 complete kit or spend double the money and get the Oceanic OC1 complete kit.

Seems like the main differences are...
OC1 has a compass, the ATOM does not. I would like a compass but its not a huge issue.
OC1 has deep stop & ATOM doesnt....I doubt I would ever use this feature
OC1 looks MUCH nicer then the ATOM. OC1 is Titanium face as opposed to plastic.
OC1 has a ascent rate bar graph. ATOM only has a ascent warning message box.
OC1 has dual algorithm.
OC1 has 1mb memory, ATOM has half of that..512k

Any other features anyone else has noticed the OC1 has that the ATOM lacks?
I dont mind spending the extra cash if it is truely worth the extra funds.

If your going to get the OC1 why not go with a galilo Sol or even more so Liquidvision X1 or shearwater Predator these are top of the line and you wont need purchase another computer as long as it dont break lol...I believe even the dataMask can monitor others Air.

Looking for a model I can use throughout my dive day. I can wear it diving as well as wearing it until I get back home. Datamask is nice but I would fear losing my mask and even more so my mask and computer together. Plus I have a very nice mask as it is.

Really only interested in the models I had mentioned. Thanks for the heads up on the others though.

Back
Top Bottom