Better OC Trimix Computer . . .

Which of these two ranks better in the catagory?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is "penalize" the same as "more conservative" or "keep you safer"? :D Us old fat guys need all the penalizing we can get....

Not necessarily. You've got to strike a balance between "enough time in the water to off gas safely" and "not so much time in the water as to invite other problems". Let's face it, the aggressive profiles on the outer limits of any decompression model are just best guesses based on the limited data that's available. Staying submerged has its risks just as getting out of the water does. Especially on open circuit...

Aw, c'mon!

If you want to talk 'best guesses', consider . . .

The algorithms were derived off of emperic data,

They were swagged to match the data,

Then other guesses were made to adjust them conservative or aggressive,

And some more data about bubbles was SWAGged and input . . .

Bottom line is that you have a computer calculating to the nth degree a bunch of values that are figured on a SWAG about SWAGged processes.

Now, just which one does so consistently, reliably, is easy to use, and has more cool points? :snicker:

Not necessarily. You've got to strike a balance between "enough time in the water to off gas safely" and "not so much time in the water as to invite other problems". Let's face it, the aggressive profiles on the outer limits of any decompression model are just best guesses based on the limited data that's available. Staying submerged has its risks just as getting out of the water does. Especially on open circuit...

Would you mind explaining in what cc is safer than oc?

I think he referred to the available gas supply.
I'm not interested in hijacking the thread into a CC vs. OC discussion. My point was just that if you're in the type of runtimes where the models diverge you're going to have other challenges to manage on open circuit so for me the model in use wasn't relevant to my decision as I'm diving open circuit <200 minute runtimes.

Last edited:
I find the x1 is easier to read at a glance. Probably the reason the Shearwater added colors to their screen. I have never used the Shearwater but I know that the X1 has a one beer learning curve. That is you sit donw with a beer and start tapping away, by the time your finished you can work about 90% of the functions.
I also like the fact that it runs vpm. I plan my dives on v-planner, its nice to know the computer you are using for backup is running the same algorithim.
Either way both computers are great and it really comes down to personal preferance. I would also venture a guess it has something to do with what their friends were diving at the time or their LDS was selling and most poeple have never actually tied both.
What I will say for a fact is that Liquivisons customer service is out of this world. I'm currently diving in Thailand for about 6 months. Couple months ago my x1 crapped out on me, (it happens to every maufactuer once in a while). Couple phone calls later they were Fed Exing me a new computer to Thailand on their dime, didnt even ask for the old unit back. Now you cant beat that kind of service. Well I guess he could have flown here himself and strapped it to my wrist :)

Kern - Yes, I was one of the first -- I guess I should have clicked them all to avoid skewing the poll, huh?

No, that wasn't the reason for my question.

Here's another series of questions though.

From those who've voted in the poll:-

Who has used both machines at least once on a trimix deco dive?

Who own's 1 machine but has never use the other on a trimix deco dive?

Who's never dived either machine ever?

I agree with Kern. On what basis do you judge if you have not dived one or the other.

... or better still if you've dived neither.

I find the x1 is easier to read at a glance. Probably the reason the Shearwater added colors to their screen. I have never used the Shearwater but I know that the X1 has a one beer learning curve. That is you sit donw with a beer and start tapping away, by the time your finished you can work about 90% of the functions.
I also like the fact that it runs vpm. I plan my dives on v-planner, its nice to know the computer you are using for backup is running the same algorithim.
Either way both computers are great and it really comes down to personal preferance. I would also venture a guess it has something to do with what their friends were diving at the time or their LDS was selling and most poeple have never actually tied both.
What I will say for a fact is that Liquivisons customer service is out of this world. I'm currently diving in Thailand for about 6 months. Couple months ago my x1 crapped out on me, (it happens to every maufactuer once in a while). Couple phone calls later they were Fed Exing me a new computer to Thailand on their dime, didnt even ask for the old unit back. Now you cant beat that kind of service. Well I guess he could have flown here himself and strapped it to my wrist :)

+1
Like you say, customer service is out of this world. Incredible how they do their best to satisfy their customer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom