Beware of Scooters in Coz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that the other kind isn't dangerous. I shredded a couple inches of my shin almost going over a coral head on an Apollo once. Did it sting! Then the rest of the dive I'm thinking:

Ok, Fast moving object dripping a visible blood trail out behind me = Shark Chum:11: :11:

It also didn't help that I had recently seen a post that some large sharks(Tigers?) were attracted by the noise a scooter makes in FL. and had been seen going after them.

TSandM:
I read the original post and kept trying to figure out what kind of coral or rock or what they had run into while scootering . . . Of course, I'm thinking of UNDERWATER scooters!
That's what I was thinking - how fast were these people going that they both didn't see the reef.
The topside scooters are real tourist-eaters. I use to see people all over Oahu on rental scooters and mopeds. Scary stuff, that. Statistically, it was not that dangerous, but the ones who make up the "1" part of "1 out of 5,000 or whatever other number" were pretty hellaciously roadrashed.

thomjinx:
Christi,
I have been to Cozumel about 6 times and I always rent a motorbike. NOT a small wheel moped/scooter.
THIS is more comforting...as I said, the mopeds with the small wheels are more dangerous.

Because there is a higher percentage of 2 wheeled vehicles in Cozumel, automobile drivers (at least the locals) seem to be more aware of their existance.
You make a good point here...except where taxi's are concerned. They really don't care.

The 'other' side of the road comment was referring to riding motorbikes in Asia and other places. The dangers are pretty much similar. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, I thought it was related. There are many places people go to dive besides Cozumel where motorbikes and scooters are a common form of transportation. I see the same problems there.
Yes, I realize there are other places to dive outside of Cozumel. However, I assumed you were referring to Cozumel since the title of the thread is "Beware of Scooters in Cozumel" and is in the Cozumel forum.

Dead is dead, wherever you are.

I think we actually agree on this more than it may seem.

Christi,

I re-reading my response, I realized I probably sounded more argumentative than I meant to. My apologies for that.

As you point out, the small-wheeled scooters are less stable and don't handle potholes near as well as a motorbike with normal big wheels. And there are a few potholes in Coz!

You are also dead on about the taxis! See my post about "the big rig has the right-of-way" Many times in Cozumel I have just pulled over and let them go on. Very scary how close they will follow a bike!

Believe it or not, this is worse in Bali! Not tailgating per se, but lack of consideration from larger vehicles.

And nothing infuriates me more than tourists who behave like the ones you described in your 'accident' scene.

I love to travel, and I have found that if you treat the locals with respect, many more doors and opportunities will be open to you.

How lucky you are, to live in Cozumel!

Cheers,
Thomjinx

thomjinx:
Christi,

I re-reading my response, I realized I probably sounded more argumentative than I meant to. My apologies for that.

As you point out, the small-wheeled scooters are less stable and don't handle potholes near as well as a motorbike with normal big wheels. And there are a few potholes in Coz!

You are also dead on about the taxis! See my post about "the big rig has the right-of-way" Many times in Cozumel I have just pulled over and let them go on. Very scary how close they will follow a bike!

Believe it or not, this is worse in Bali! Not tailgating per se, but lack of consideration from larger vehicles.

And nothing infuriates me more than tourists who behave like the ones you described in your 'accident' scene.

I love to travel, and I have found that if you treat the locals with respect, many more doors and opportunities will be open to you.

How lucky you are, to live in Cozumel!

Cheers,
Thomjinx

No apology needed...as I said, this is a touchy subject with me AND we agree more than it may seem. It's no secret that things don't always come across in writing the way they are meant to sound.

Yes, the taxi's are pretty ruthless. If you are in THEIR way, best just to move OUT of their way.

I always like to say, there are tourists and there are travelers...the people I saw were TOURISTS...ugly american tourists...the kind that make me hang my head in shame when I witness thier behavior.

Yes, I feel prettty lucky to live here :) It's not always a vacation though...especially when mujeres like Emily or Wilma visit :wink:

Tom Winters:
That's what I was thinking - how fast were these people going that they both didn't see the reef.
The topside scooters are real tourist-eaters. I use to see people all over Oahu on rental scooters and mopeds. Scary stuff, that. Statistically, it was not that dangerous, but the ones who make up the "1" part of "1 out of 5,000 or whatever other number" were pretty hellaciously roadrashed.

Yeah, I grew up on Oahu, and seeing those mopeds sharing the road with cars (no bike lanes or wide shoulders) on busy streets and highways in a MAJOR metropolitan area was really scary to observe. Most of the riders were wearing shorts and t-shirts (and of course no helmets), so even the smallest of spills would result in serious road rash, and we hated to imagine the carnage when we saw remnants of scooter parts and debris on a roadway.

In high school I was in my friend's car once when he made an abrupt right turn and caused a moped rider to spill onto the road. Luckily just scrapes and bruises to her, and my friend acknowledged fault and paid for the damages, but we all felt really bad because I'm sure the rest of her vacation was ruined and somewhat painful.

We don't do scooters in Coz, though we do borrow bicycles occasionally to get around near town, but we really stick to the residential back streets and away from motor traffic.

I talked with Christi about scooters when we were there. Her comment about taxi's was more than enough to keep my buddy and I far away from the scooters. Plus seeing the people drive helped. FWIW we are both licensed motorcycle riders, and have both spent years dirt bike riding, so experience was not the issue. A couple of mile walk in Coz is enjoyable. No hurries no worries. Otherwise support a taxi drivers family, let someone else drive you around.

Dave Zimmerly:
While in Coz, one Thursday night at the Scuba Club, I happened to meet a couple at dinner who decided to rent a scooter for the evening....
Be warned! Scooters look like fun but people get hurt.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

I hope this couple is OK... We prefer Jeeps to Mopeds when we are in Cozumel... My group rented two Jeeps this past weekend and toured the island after our final dives... IMHO, the best choice is to use the local cabs. If you have to drive yourself, then rent a Jeep instead of a moped but don't drink and drive....

The potholes are enormous and unavoidable especially on the wild side of the island when you are taking the south route around to Coconuts... The potholes are extremely dangerous to anyone on a moped and anyone driving too fast in a car or Jeep for that matter... Good news is that they appear to be working on a new road...

Also, parking is difficult near the downtown area and is another great reason to just hire a cab and enjoy your holiday... By the time you get insurance and gas, it is likely that the cab works out to be a better deal, especially when you factor in the hassle of driving in Cozumel...

Blue Moon

I just got back from Coz. A sure sign of a tourist on a scooter was a helmet.

Bethjd:
I just got back from Coz. A sure sign of a tourist on a scooter was a helmet.

Au contraire. I know many folks who live on Cozumel and drive scooters, and they all wear helmets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom