Beware of Silva Fox lobster boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do the same. Be courteous to the locals and as a instructor - have always made it a point to instruct my divers to be mindful of the environment and people. And sure - there are some of these folks around. However, for as long as I can remember and have seen - divers in Cape Ann aren't crazy maniacs who leave litter, shout at the top of their lungs, or spread gear so as to inconvenience others, or drivers.

That said - there seems to be a level of self-righteousness/colloquial behaviors that I have observed with some Cape Ann residents. Sometimes to the point of indignant. And sometimes intolerant. While this is purely observational on my part I've never gotten, or observed this amount of friction with diving groups in NY, CA, NJ etc.

As per Silva - he'll hurt someone one day and when that happens jail will be the most appropriate place for him.

I've actually had very pleasant interactions with most Rockport residents I've run into. I make sure to say hello and chat if they want to, keep my crap as together as possible (not spilling across the sidewalk/taking up tons of extra space) and complement them on their dogs. I've seen plenty of divers/groups of divers seeming clueless of their proximity to residences--blowing off dust caps with their tanks, yelling to each other, leaving trash, changing in full view of passerby on the sidewalk, spreading their stuff out all over the place,and just generally being inconsiderate of the fact that they are in someone's neighborhood. I understand why there are residents who don't like having divers there. I figure it may or may not make a difference overall, but being pleasant and considerate just may change someone's mind about "all" divers, so why not at least make an effort?

People who live(d) in Gloucester, however....:wink: (Hi, Lewis!)

well said Kim, it's always best to be a good neighbor...

now what was that you said about people from Gloucester? :letsparty:

Well, all of y'all complaining could have it like it is in Maine. No lobstering on scuba, and if a lobsterman finds you diving near his pots, he'll shoot ya and ask questions later. At least you can take lobster on scuba, find someplace without a ton of traps.

I've actually had very pleasant interactions with most Rockport residents I've run into. I make sure to say hello and chat if they want to, keep my crap as together as possible (not spilling across the sidewalk/taking up tons of extra space) and complement them on their dogs. I've seen plenty of divers/groups of divers seeming clueless of their proximity to residences--blowing off dust caps with their tanks, yelling to each other, leaving trash, changing in full view of passerby on the sidewalk, spreading their stuff out all over the place,and just generally being inconsiderate of the fact that they are in someone's neighborhood. I understand why there are residents who don't like having divers there. I figure it may or may not make a difference overall, but being pleasant and considerate just may change someone's mind about "all" divers, so why not at least make an effort?

People who live(d) in Gloucester, however....:wink: (Hi, Lewis!)

That's my point after doing all that I get BS about lobster pots and I haven't been in the water yet. Then there is the harassment from the enforcement crowd. I even stayed there at a local B&B for a long weekend trying spread some money as well as goodwill. None of it was appreciated once it was discovered I was a diver. My wife could not believe it and she was there! The best they get from me is civil. Pleasant is not in the cards. It's a long drive for me these days, I haven't been there for 2 years so I'm not affected like I was years ago.
I'd think nothing of driving there from Fall River on a Friday night do a night dive and drive back. Not now. I'm glad you have pleasant experiences in A-hole town, it does make diving more fun.

FWIW, I spent 2 weeks in the area this summer, met macado (great guy) and a bunch of other really nice divers. 6 boat dives, 9 shore - Old Garden Beach, Back Beach, Pebble Beach, Folly Cove.

All of our interactions with locals were great. We were friendly, got the same back.

Interestingly, on a boat dive at Braces Rock, one of the divers who was bug hunting tied his reel off on the anchor line. A fisherman pulling a trap wound up fouled in his line and had to cut it clear. He could have just dropped both ends of the line, but he didn't. He (tried) to do a good thing and tied the ends of the line back together. Of course by this time the line needed to be replaced and wound up in quite a tangle. That's not the point. He tried.

Not all the fishermen think the divers are stealing from them.

My biggest issue was the local aversion to nitrox and having to go all the way to Chelmsford (Northeast) to get my voodoo gas for my Poling dives.

Reactions: Tug
That's nice you spent 2 weeks there and had good encounters. Even I posted that I had good encounters with the locals:
"I can count the number of pleasant encounters with them on one hand."

I've done about 200 shore dives over the span of 30 years there so my experience is a little broader than yours.

I don't want folks going there thinking that if they're nice it's going to be returned like normal. I just don't see that.

Actually the common factor seems to be Lane's Cove, I have never had a problem on Cape Ann but then I did dive Lane's Cove once from a boat and did not seem that good to me. YMMV.

That's nice you spent 2 weeks there and had good encounters. Even I posted that I had good encounters with the locals:
"I can count the number of pleasant encounters with them on one hand."

I've done about 200 shore dives over the span of 30 years there so my experience is a little broader than yours.

I don't want folks going there thinking that if they're nice it's going to be returned like normal. I just don't see that.

You reply makes me believe you think I am arguing with you or trying to invalidate your comments. I'm not, just providing another data point (hence my start with FWIW).

And commercial lobstermen would never raid another's traps and are always ethical. Well, time to ride my unicorn to the space station.

AWESOME!!!! Does your unicorn have a rainbow coming out of it when it flies around too? Sometimes if I get lucky it plops out fresh hamburgers. Those are great days :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom