BHB Trip - Many questions, requests for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbf

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
In years past I've done regular trips to Bonaire with my dive buddy/bride, and more recently Belize Aggressor trips by myself since she retired from diving.

I'm now old (a healthy/active 69) and am looking to do a closer-to-home trip this Oct/Nov. The cost/hassle of international travel has just gotten out of hand for me.

It seems to me that Blue Heron Bridge is exactly what I like to do best - shallow, slow, slower, small things for a long time - my daughter and I many times spent 2 hrs around a couple of mooring blocks on Bonaire.

so, the questions:

Oct or Nov? Or other better time?

- Can I make a week of every-day dives at BHB, given that my schedule is totally flexible and can be twisted to match the tidal charts? Boredom risk? - I don't think so, but one never knows, do one? I'm thinking arrive on Sunday PM and depart on Sat/Sun next.

- Is it practical to dive at both high and low tides to get in 2 long dives each day? I understand about the reduced vis - doesn't bother me, I'll be looking slowly and up close anyway. Or is low tide just not fun?

- Dive Operator? I've read good stuff about Pura Vida and they appear to be close at hand and have the night dive permits.

- My lovely and long-suffering bride wants me to hire a guide, at least to start. Cost? Anybody in particular you recommend?

- Solo diving OK or not recommended? Scuba police gonna get me if I do it?

- Hotel/Condo/Resort? I'll be by myself, and probably not much interest in cooking. Close to dive op would be good. I don't like camping out, Hampton is good.

- I'm not inclined to do any day charters, I just don't always enjoy it, but is there a don't-miss day trip I should do while I'm there?

- I'm kinda thinking I may drive down, mix in stops around Ft White and Marianna on the way just to visit folks. I'll probably bring my stuff, except for tanks and a flag, which I'll plan to rent. Anything special/unique to BHB I need to bring?

- IMPORTANT: given that I stay close to the bridge, are there any outstanding beer halls close by (or not so close) I need to make sure I attend? Or avoid?

Thanks in advance to anyone who plows through this and answers any or all.

Brad

I'll tackle a few of these. I may add more input later when I have more time. My responses are underlined.

- Can I make a week of every-day dives at BHB, given that my schedule is totally flexible and can be twisted to match the tidal charts? Boredom risk? - I don't think so, but one never knows, do one? I'm thinking arrive on Sunday PM and depart on Sat/Sun next. I could, but others would get bored after a few days. Everyone is different.

- Is it practical to dive at both high and low tides to get in 2 long dives each day? I understand about the reduced vis - doesn't bother me, I'll be looking slowly and up close anyway. Or is low tide just not fun? Technically you can dive whenever you want and the park is open (sunrise to sunset). You can certainly give low tide a try. I haven't but I know others have.

- Dive Operator? I've read good stuff about Pura Vida and they appear to be close at hand and have the night dive permits. Pura Vida and Force-E Riviera Beach are both very close and are both good operations. I use both.

- My lovely and long-suffering bride wants me to hire a guide, at least to start. Cost? Anybody in particular you recommend? Pura Vida and Force-E Riviera Beach both have many very good guides. I think the going rate is still around $100 or so for a 2-2.5 hr dive. There are also several ScubaBoarders who are fantastic guides.

- Solo diving OK or not recommended? Scuba police gonna get me if I do it? Solo is absolutely fine. Many of us do it all the time. It is not forbidden. All that is required is a flag. The vast majority of my BHB dives have been solo.

- I'm not inclined to do any day charters, I just don't always enjoy it, but is there a don't-miss day trip I should do while I'm there? The offshore diving out of that area is fantastic IMO. Sites south of the inlet are shallow and allow for full 60 minute dives (that is what most charters allow). I would highly recommend doing at least one charter in the shallower (40-60') southern side of the inlet off of Palm Beach proper. These shallower sites allow a lot of time to explore. The Corridor Wreck Treck is a blast as well. It is a deeper dive ... 50-85'.

- I'm kinda thinking I may drive down, mix in stops around Ft White and Marianna on the way just to visit folks. I'll probably bring my stuff, except for tanks and a flag, which I'll plan to rent. Anything special/unique to BHB I need to bring? A flag and reel, a way to carry your car key, lights, a muck stick.

In years past I've done regular trips to Bonaire with my dive buddy/bride, and more recently Belize Aggressor trips by myself since she retired from diving.

I'm now old (a healthy/active 69) and am looking to do a closer-to-home trip this Oct/Nov. The cost/hassle of international travel has just gotten out of hand for me.

It seems to me that Blue Heron Bridge is exactly what I like to do best - shallow, slow, slower, small things for a long time - my daughter and I many times spent 2 hrs around a couple of mooring blocks on Bonaire.

so, the questions:

Oct or Nov? Or other better time?

- Can I make a week of every-day dives at BHB, given that my schedule is totally flexible and can be twisted to match the tidal charts? Boredom risk? - I don't think so, but one never knows, do one? I'm thinking arrive on Sunday PM and depart on Sat/Sun next.

- Is it practical to dive at both high and low tides to get in 2 long dives each day? I understand about the reduced vis - doesn't bother me, I'll be looking slowly and up close anyway. Or is low tide just not fun?

- Dive Operator? I've read good stuff about Pura Vida and they appear to be close at hand and have the night dive permits.

- My lovely and long-suffering bride wants me to hire a guide, at least to start. Cost? Anybody in particular you recommend?

- Solo diving OK or not recommended? Scuba police gonna get me if I do it?

- Hotel/Condo/Resort? I'll be by myself, and probably not much interest in cooking. Close to dive op would be good. I don't like camping out, Hampton is good.

- I'm not inclined to do any day charters, I just don't always enjoy it, but is there a don't-miss day trip I should do while I'm there?

- I'm kinda thinking I may drive down, mix in stops around Ft White and Marianna on the way just to visit folks. I'll probably bring my stuff, except for tanks and a flag, which I'll plan to rent. Anything special/unique to BHB I need to bring?

- IMPORTANT: given that I stay close to the bridge, are there any outstanding beer halls close by (or not so close) I need to make sure I attend? Or avoid?

Thanks in advance to anyone who plows through this and answers any or all.

Brad
October is still hurricane season, but nice weather most of the time otherwise, so you always have that chance lurking. November is when the first cold front comes through but otherwise nice weather.

You can make a week of diving out of BHB no problem. So if you arrived Sunday PM and high tide for Monday was 8:30am then add approximately 50 minutes a day for tide. So Tuesday would be approximately 09:20am high tide and by Saturday high tide would be 3:30 pm, just google BHB tide table to get a better idea. If you can spend two hours at one mooring block at Bonaire you will not be bored at BHB.

It is only practical to dive approximately 1.5 hours before and after high tide. I would also argue that the snorkel trail can be dove or snorkeled 2.5 hours before and after high tide. No one dives there at low tide, the water will be green, brown and yukky at low tide.

Pura Vida is an excellent dive operator located less than a half mile away to the east, they have plenty of guides. Force E is a good dive operator located less than a half mile away to the west, they have plenty of dive guides. If you look at the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls thread @Scuba_Jenny is well respected as a dive guide.

Don't miss dive charter, IMHO you can have nice dives on one of the many dive boats, but I wouldn't call anything don't miss. You could pick a day and drive down to Lauderdale By the Sea for a nice shore dive that is different than BHB. Its about an hour away, it is not tidal dependent but you want the wind to be less than 10knots if you go.

Plenty of hotels condos and resorts on Singer Island a mile away. If you want maybe a little less expensive 95 and PGA Blvd about 15 minutes away has 6 or 7 hotels within one mile of each other.

Beer Halls I can't help you with that.

so, the questions:

Oct or Nov?
Not November. It's an "Inconsistent" rough weather month which can trash visibility at BHB. It's playing the lotto and the odds are against you, but someone won a billion last week too.
From right here on Scuba board >> Her name is @Scuba_Jenny .. You can message her.

, are there any outstanding beer halls close by
Of course,,,,one is called Two Drunken Goats right next to Pura Vida Dive shop.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like I should skew towards end of sept/1st of oct, depending on tide tables.

I'm on my way to MILB with the rest of the drunken old goats now. Nothing like nachos with processed plastic cheese food, jalapenos, beer and minor league beisbol.

I'll give this some serious thought and planning tomorrow (by that I mean "talk to my bride"). I think this could really be a good happening.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "beer halls" as that can mean different things in different locations. Obviously in South Florida most of the drinking establishments have a tropical theme or they are seafood focused or sports bar focused. Close to BHB there are the following that come to mind:
  • Mulligans, Three Drunk Goats and Johnny Longboats right across the parking lot from Pura Vida on Singer Island
  • Sailfish Marina Restaurant, also on Singer Island on the lagoon side
  • Brass Ring Pub in Northlake right off of Federal/Hwy 1
  • Frigate's a bit north of there
  • Draft House Bar and Grill yet a bit further north on the same road
  • Stormhouse Brewing in North Palm Beach
  • There is a Miller's Ale House and Duffy's in Palm Beach Gardens. Both sports bar type establishments.
  • There are other good options if you head north into Juno Beach and Jupiter but I haven't listed those given that you plan to stay in the BHB area.
That should at least give you a few places to try and hit. I have no doubt there are others around! Those are just the ones that come to mind from my regular trips (monthly) to that area.

When I dived BHB a few years back @Scuba_Jenny was my guide, couldn't have asked for a better buddy :D

I stayed at the Hilton on Singer Island, reasonable hotel and had some decent beer.

Hi @gbf

You've gotten a lot of great information, SB can really be a great place :)

I don't live in SE Florida but have had a townhouse just north of Boynton Beach since 2011 and dive Boynton Beach, West Palm, including the BHB, and Jupiter, year around.

I would also recommend late Sept or Oct over November. Later fall, winter, and early spring tend to have much more unpredictable weather, some of which also affects the BHB. If you come at the end of Sept, or maybe even early Oct, the Goliath Grouper aggregation may still be taking place. I use Jupiter Dive Center, they have Goliath Grouper trips on their calendar through the end of Sept. Jupiter is about 15 miles north of West Palm. I use Walker's Charters and Narcosis in West Palm. I have used Pura Vida, they get great reviews by folks that use them more often. I would also recommend getting our into the ocean. Those three operators all put a guide in the water with a flag to make it very easy for first time visitors.

Have a great visit, let us all hear about it.

When I dived BHB a few years back @Scuba_Jenny was my guide, couldn't have asked for a better buddy :D

Same she pointed out a lot of little stuff that I would've just swam right by.

Hi @gbf

You've gotten a lot of great information, SB can really be a great place :)

And I thank you all. I'm gonna try and make this happen. My bride has signed off. What she actually said was "just do the Aggressor. Easier and you can visit MH." (Young daughter is a "restauranteur" in San Pedro)

I saw a mention of "Open Waters Resort" in some thread here somewhere. It looked like I could dive the bridge directly from their little beach? Their attached reviews say "park and never moved the car for 4 days". Sounds like my kind of thing.

Anybody have any feedback on this place?

I've been looking at tide tables. It looks like I can choose when I want to dive (morning, mid-day, afternoon) by just shuffling my dates a little. If you got to choose which would you do? Pura Vida also has night dives scheduled on some weeks that have an early high tide. Worth getting up at the crack of dawn for a chance at night dives?

I really appreciate yall taking the time to answer my stream-of-consciousness questions as they come to me.

brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom