Bifocal mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the same situation and would like to try the stick-on lenses. But boy, $30 to try out lenses that some say either start to fog after a few dives or simply wash out of the mask ... I don't know ... ??

Henrik
You can get the same thing at Walgreens for $10

You can probably just send your current beloved mask to one of the places that create prescription lenses for dive masks and have them insert lenses with your prescription into your mask frame. Same fit; better vision.

There is stuff growing in my mask that can't be removed even by scraping and no sane person would touch it even with latex gloves on. :D Suffice it to say that it's done it's "tour of duty" and really should be retired.

I don't mind replacing my mask but I love the liquid skin so I'll probably replace it with the same one.

Unfortunately, I live in Holland, which in terms of "sending it in" is the very outer edges of the "boom docks" in terms of availability of consumer products. For every 100 products available in America there might be 1 similar product available in Holland (which also includes food products, which is depressing).

In terms of the global economy you might as well be living in the jungles of Zaire when it comes to this kind of thing. It's because of the population. The whole country only has about 16 million people so it's not an interesting market.

I really appreciate the suggestions. The dive Optx would be worth ordering if they would ship out of the US, which they don't.... yeah. but that's what it's like living here..... I'd even order them with a "no cure, no refund" deal given the price just to try them but oh well.....

The contact lenses, however, are certainly worth a follow-up with the optometrist. I bet I can get those here!

The dive Optx remind me of the solution one of our divers thought of. He bought a cheap pair of reading glasses from a department store and took the lenses out and "glued" them into his mask with silicone sealer.... LOL. It worked but I was hoping for a slightly more sophisticated solution that that! :D

R..

Unfortunately, I live in Holland, which in terms of "sending it in" is the very outer edges of the "boom docks" in terms of availability of consumer products. For every 100 products available in America there might be 1 similar product available in Holland (which also includes food products, which is depressing).

Order your mask in the states and have the internet based company deleiver to Prescription Dive Masks who will in turn deliever to you in Holland. You make it sound like you live in the Falkland Islands. Lol. All kidding aside, I am looking into contacts also...

Last edited:
I can't say enough good things about Sea-Vision !!!

the K

You can get the same thing at Walgreens for $10

That is great information. Thank you!

Henrik

Well.... I've reached that age.

I'm 43 (almost 44) and my eyes are now at +2/-.5

My current mask is a Mares Liquid skin and it fits like a glove. It's probably the best mask I've ever had. I'm loathe to dump it but I can't read my gauges!

My mask is done for and it needs to be replaced.
QUOTE]

Keep your mask. I have corrective lenses in my Mares X-vision. I assume you have the same if you have Liquid skin. All of the X-visions have the same size lense anyway. I got mine thru my LDS with Aquatic Optics but I'm sure you could get it cheaper direct. They may even be able to send the lenses to you without having the mask. I have an astigmatism and just got progressive glasses so I may need to update my own mask soon. It ain't cheap though. In the $160 - $200 range (single vision) I expect depending on how much shipping you have to do.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com - Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878. or

http://www.newportglass.com/aqucat.htm - aquatic optics

Order your mask in the states and have the internet based company deleiver to Prescription Dive Masks who will in turn deliever to you in Holland. You make it sound like you live in the Falkland Islands. Lol. All kidding aside, I am looking into contacts also...

Yeah. Well the issue isn't so much that I can't find someone who would ship it here... but that my experience to date with having dive gear delivered from over-seas is generally negative. The last time I tried it, it took me 6 weeks and a fair amount of money to get customs to release it. They're like the mafia, man!

In some cases it would probably be cheaper to hop on a plane to New York, buy it there and carry it back on, destroying all evidence that it was new.

R..

Yeah. Well the issue isn't so much that I can't find someone who would ship it here... but that my experience to date with having dive gear delivered from over-seas is generally negative. The last time I tried it, it took me 6 weeks and a fair amount of money to get customs to release it. They're like the mafia, man!

In some cases it would probably be cheaper to hop on a plane to New York, buy it there and carry it back on, destroying all evidence that it was new.

R..

I am going to Sweden in May if that helps. I could be your mule and get it from here to Europe at least. SM members gotta stick together...:)

I've tried mask gauge inserts, split and bifocal lenses made for the mask. Never happy with any of this. Keep your mask, and follow the suggestions for contact lenses. A lens in one eye way be enough to suit you. I wear a single lens and do a lot of underwater photography and inspection of macro size critters, It works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom