Big animals in Cozumel, anyone seen any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60:
The largest animals I've seen are the crustations (sp?) and eels, we've come accross some massive lobsters over the years.

we saw a parrot fish last year that was HUGE! close to 4' long and very large in gerth.

This guy's head was about the size of a football, who knows how long he is:

BIGGREENMOREY.jpg

still looking for my first "real shark" in Coz.

Great Pic !!!

A goliath is a regular grouper, just a grouper that gets to around 800lbs, similar to the Warsaw grouper.

Cozoholic:
Hey, whats the diff. between a regular grouper & a goliath ? Only size?

Just because I'm curious, Christi, what distance from the shore (either side) is considered "protected" from visits by the other side's dive ops?
Does the new rule on the mainland have a similar restriction back your direction?
You'd think PDC ops wouldn't have such a fit. As divers tell of their enjoyable encounters there- couldn't that cause a few more COZ visitors to take a ferry over there for a day and diving ops there?
Obviously it happens the other way around all the time- and just because COZ clients ask for a boat to dive the mainland- doesn't mean the seas will always cooperate, right?
And- I gotta say, that southern stingray, with a wingspan as wide as my wife's Honda is long, sure qualified as a "biggie" for me.
Jane's birthday is Saturday... come on honey, let me give you just one, little trip. You're only going to have the 3rd anniversary of your, um,... birthday, once.
Craig-

The Black Grouper (Mycteroperca bonaci) and the Goliath Grouper (Epinephelus itajara) are different species. Nearly all the big groupers you see in Cozumel are M. bonaci.

The Warsaw Grouper is Epinephelus nigritus.

FWIW: The Goliath Grouper was previously known as the Jewfish.

ckofabq:
ask for a boat to dive the mainland- doesn't mean the seas will always cooperate, right?
And- I gotta say, that southern stingray, with a wingspan as wide as my wife's Honda is long, sure qualified as a "biggie" for me.
Jane's birthday is Saturday... come on honey, let me give you just one, little trip. You're only going to have the 3rd anniversary of your, um,... birthday, once.
Craig-

I was thinking that myself Craig...Id make the trip over to see those Tarpon !! Perhaps 1st dive Tortugas & 2nd in the Cenotes?? :wink:

Christi's 'subliminal' messages are evil, arent they?

BTW, we went to the balloon festival this past weekend, it was AMAZING..Thought of you !

jlyle:
The Black Grouper (Mycteroperca bonaci) and the Goliath Grouper (Epinephelus itajara) are different species. Nearly all the big groupers you see in Cozumel are M. bonaci.

The Warsaw Grouper is Epinephelus nigritus.

FWIW: The Goliath Grouper was previously known as the Jewfish.

Thanks Jlyle - Visually, how can you tell the difference...???

Cozoholic:
Christi's 'subliminal' messages are evil, arent they?
Bad Christi! Bad Christi!
Cozoholic:
BTW, we went to the balloon festival this past weekend, it was AMAZING..Thought of you !
An uplifting experience, huh?
Just remember, your first ride is free. The next one costs $30K.
Since a salt water dunking doesn't appear to be in the near future, we're haulin' out the 'ol bag of rags and picnic basket for a flight tomorrow at o' dark 30.

ckofabq:
Just remember, your first ride is free. The next one costs $30K.
ckofabq:
30K ? Is that to support your 'other' habit :wink:

ckofabq:
Since a salt water dunking doesn't appear to be in the near future, we're haulin' out the 'ol bag of rags and picnic basket for a flight tomorrow at o' dark 30.

Unfortunatly, not in our near future. Wish we could join you in Dec. School is slowly creepin up :*( Hopefully you'll be able to meet us for a pre- fiji trip (or two) next year, Junish...Im sure we could think of some good excuses for Jane :wink:

Cozoholic:
Thanks Jlyle - Visually, how can you tell the difference...???

The best way is to look at the tailfin; Goliath groupers have a rounded tailfin; Black Groupers have a tail that is straighter (like a broom).

Goliath:
goliath.JPG

Black grouper:
grouper2.jpg

Coloration can change, for example, here's a Black grouper with its hunting pattern. Moments later, it can be gray with black margins like the image above.
grouper.jpg

Black or Goliath?
grouper2.jpg

Ans: Black Grouper

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom