Big animals in Cozumel, anyone seen any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
That trip is longer permitted for Cozumel operators. It was ok when just a few small boats were going over there and offering it as an exclusive trip, but apparently the PDC ops got tired of too many (and big) Coz boats being over there on a regular basis dropping too many people on the turtles and complained to the harbor master there. Our last trip over there was on the 20th and we heard the news later that week. I confirmed the rumor with the harbor master here and it's true. Fines are hefty, hefty for Coz boats going over there now. I guess it's fair though...we wouldn't want a bunch of boats from PDC coming over and crowding our special places either.

Can't blame them. On said trip on the 20th, we were all commenting, not favorably, on the number of boats and how several operations were dropping right on top of others.

Glad I got to go, but understand the new restriction :(

Jim, isn't it a bit late for you? Aren't you supposed to be up early Friday to go to that place, where was it??? Cozumel?

ckofabq:
Jim, isn't it a bit late for you? Aren't you supposed to be up early Friday to go to that place, where was it??? Cozumel?

Hey Craig!

Just passing time. We're on the red-eye tomorrow night; should land in San Miguel about 11:30 AM, Saturday. Maybe I'll go the airport and wait.

I'll dedicate a dive to you.

DSAO,
Jim

This is the largest fish I saw-- It was last May in Cozumel. Great dive!

Now THAT'S a bummer. That is one of my favourite dive sites. I need a Plan B.

Christi:
That trip is longer permitted for Cozumel operators. It was ok when just a few small boats were going over there and offering it as an exclusive trip, but apparently the PDC ops got tired of too many (and big) Coz boats being over there on a regular basis dropping too many people on the turtles and complained to the harbor master there. Our last trip over there was on the 20th and we heard the news later that week.

MMM:
Now THAT'S a bummer. That is one of my favourite dive sites. I need a Plan B.

Plan B would be to take a ferry over to PDC and dive with a local company like Tank-Ha or DiveMike, have some fajitas and cervezas on the beach at PlayaMaya, and catch an evening ferry back to Coz.

yak:
Plan B would be to take a ferry over to PDC and dive with a local company like Tank-Ha or DiveMike, have some fajitas and cervezas on the beach at PlayaMaya, and catch an evening ferry back to Coz.

With or without the dive first, I like your plan! Or a Plan C of getting in a cenote dive or two, then Tortugas, then PlayaMaya in the late afternoon. Make a whole day of it to make the ferry trip worthwhile.

The popularity of the trip over to Tortugas really did seem to increase this winter and spring. It wasn't something that just a handful of smaller shops were doing anymore.

sharky60:
The largest animals I've seen are the crustations (sp?) and eels, we've come accross some massive lobsters over the years.

we saw a parrot fish last year that was HUGE! close to 4' long and very large in gerth.

This guy's head was about the size of a football, who knows how long he is:

BIGGREENMOREY.jpg

still looking for my first "real shark" in Coz.

Green Morays are awesome!

Augustus:
even if you could you scuba you quickly would give up on it and decided to snorke. the sharks are on the surface. You jump in and swim with them (try to keep up is very hard to do). So you climb back on the boat, motor over and jump in again. Try doing that ten times with scuba. You would be dead in the water. Your in water encounters are rather short, 5 to 10 minutes if memory serves.

Was it worth it going up to Holbox to see the whale sharks, or not? We have a extra day on the mainland before going home, and we're trying to decide on Chitchen Itza, or the Holbox whale shark trip. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom