Big animals in Cozumel, anyone seen any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoyed it. If you haven't seen whale sharks before, I'd definitely do it.

I probably won't do it again due, I think, to the vis and because I didn't feel a "connection" with the whale sharks. I know that seems weird but I _have_ felt a connection with other fish and various marine mammals.

alcina:
Don't forget the tarpon and big guy turtles near the mainland...that's a trip worth doing.
Huh, everyone talking about this not being allowed on boats from Cozumel anymore. I made this trip with a group last Friday. We left about 7:30am, arrived about 8:45, was the only boat there, did a 45 minute dive, and was back at Cozumel for another reef dive by 11:00.

Saw several large tarpon, dozens of large turtles, and the biggest barracuda I've seen. Also the fastest current I've ever been in. Vis was only about 60-70 feet, but it was a great experience.

dartref:
Huh, everyone talking about this not being allowed on boats from Cozumel anymore. I made this trip with a group last Friday. We left about 7:30am, arrived about 8:45, was the only boat there, did a 45 minute dive, and was back at Cozumel for another reef dive by 11:00.

Saw several large tarpon, dozens of large turtles, and the biggest barracuda I've seen. Also the fastest current I've ever been in. Vis was only about 60-70 feet, but it was a great experience.

Perhaps they aren't aware of this new rule yet or they were able to make arrangements...they were the first op I know of to start going over there. This kind of stuff isn't necessarily announced in a news bulletin to all the ops...but I did confirm with the harbor master after I heard about it from another dive op. Fortunately we didn't get caught before we were aware of this new rule, the fine is huge.

Christi:
Perhaps they aren't aware of this new rule yet or they were able to make arrangements...they were the first op I know of to start going over there. This kind of stuff isn't necessarily announced in a news bulletin to all the ops...but I did confirm with the harbor master after I heard about it from another dive op. Fortunately we didn't get caught before we were aware of this new rule, the fine is huge.

Hey, Christi, your PM box is full.

stangscuba98a:
Any info on the net? Off Playa or Cancun?
Saw plenty of turtles and a huge school of tarpon at Tortugas Reef off Playa (just near the Xcaret park). Man swimming through that school of tarpon was fun!

abitton:
Why not? (Just curious)
I was told the bubbles stress the sharks out...

Back
Top Bottom