Big guy problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 6'2", 280lbs and I also have broad shoulders and chest. I dive a Zeagle Ranger LTD and love it. The whole BC is modular, so if you need 2xl in the shoulders and a M in the waist it could be done. Don't know who would wear those measurements, but its just an example. I had a hard time finding a wetsuit that fit me but I ended up getting a Tilos epic 7.6.5. They were one of the few that made a wetsuit big enough, and I'm very happy with how the suit fits.

Last edited:
Another big guy here.

I dove a Zeagle Brigade (Ranger variant) and loved the fit due to the modularity.

I switched to a BP/W and love that even more. Zero fit issues and better trim, streamlining and weighting.

For a wetsuit, nothing off-the-rack would work, so I went with a custom from Aqua Flite. Cost about the same, but it fit perfectly and I got it in the same week I'd ordered it. Www.aquaflite.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm right there with you. I'm 6'4" and 290lbs. I am at the very top of most off-the-rack wetsuits, XXXL. Everyone on here preaches "try a lot of different ones before you buy"....although I agree with that, guys like you and I don't get that luxury. I am a big guy and I even wear size 16 shoes. So other than regulators I am not able to borrow anything from my diving friends to try. I do have a suggestion for a BCD if you choose not to do the BP/W (they are the most adjustable).

SeaSoft Scuba Products

At 6'4" 290 I was at the small end of adjustability for this BCD. The only reason I changed was because it was a little too big and the next size was just a little snug. Just a thought if you want a jacket style.

As I've read on here numerous times, and I agree....whatever you choose to purchase will probably get replaced with what you REALLY want sooner than later. I'm looking to go to a BP/W soon.

Big guys need big gear. Ditto on the custom wet or dry suit. Whites Drysuits will custom fit a Catalyst for you, no problem. Not, ballast - that's where you will need more than the average diver. However and be careful, carrying that much extra weight has it's own problems. Do all you can to eliminate items that have any positive buoyancy. Get and use a steel tank, a back plate system vs a harness or conventional BC and so on.

Have fun, dive safe and welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom