Big Island Divers: Manta/Black Water Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfmatthews

Registered
Reaction score
Aloha. My wife and I will be in Kona in September, and we're hoping to "convince" Big Island Divers to send their famous Manta/Black Water dive on Sunday, September 9, 2007. Word around the campfire (compressor?) is that the dives are awesome! They normally only run the dive on Mondays, but they'll go on the 9th if we find at least two more divers. Send a PM if you'll be in the area and are interested.

yea, those would be top shelf dives. I have done the matas a few times, but only heard about the black water dives from friends.

I think the captain that makes the black water dive pretty wonderful is Matt or Mathew...
he has a fantastic video of that which was posted here a couple years ago, have you seen it? Ask them, I bet they can link you.

do you do the manta dive first, then the black water dive? we are arriving in Kona on the 6th through the 13 and was thinking of diving with them. we may be interested.

Yep, The manta dive is first, then the black water dive. Awesome!

Dave

catherine96821:
yea, those would be top shelf dives. I have done the matas a few times, but only heard about the black water dives from friends.

I think the captain that makes the black water dive pretty wonderful is Matt or Mathew...
he has a fantastic video of that which was posted here a couple years ago, have you seen it? Ask them, I bet they can link you.

Matt Da'Vella, I believe; a.k.a "Liokai" on this board.

The manta dive is awsome, the black water is even better!

what the heck is the black water dive I keep reading about. The same thing as a blue water dive, but at night? If so whats out there to see then?

What I heard is that they basically "troll" with your body....

and thats why I haven't done it. :D

I'm not afraid of sharks in natural conditions, but getting dragged through the surface of a pitch black ocean sounds like asking for trouble...I think I'l let Wildcard do it a few more times.

(....although I enjoyed the video:wink:

catherine96821:
What I heard is that they basically "troll" with your body....

and thats why I haven't done it. :D

I'm not afraid of sharks in natural conditions, but getting dragged through the surface of a pitch black ocean sounds like asking for trouble...I think I'l let Wildcard do it a few more times.

(....although I enjoyed the video:wink:

I've done that during the daytime without SCUBA gear. Once was enough for me!

The Mantas on the other hand are a must-see!:)

the sharks were way too interested for my taste when we did a blue water snorkel ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom