Biggest fright diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
wondering whats the most scary thing that happend to you well diving?

today was my most scary thing, i was out diving with my new gear (solo diving) first time and i was underweighted so all i could do was stay about 1 foot below the surface when i felt something grab me by the legs, i started to kick and turned around it was a big labrador retreaver i guess trying to save me hah but it gave me one big fright didnt know what it as.

Brand0n:

today was my most scary thing, i was out diving with my new gear (solo diving) first time and i was underweighted so all i could do was stay about 1 foot below the surface when i felt something grab me by the legs, i started to kick and turned around it was a big labrador retreaver i guess trying to save me hah but it gave me one big fright didnt know what it as.

Hahaha. That is really funny.

I think the most scary moment for me was the first time I put my face in the water with the reg in my mouth. For a moment I felt like I was going to suffocate.

I got over that and now I sometimes think I don't get as scared as I should when things go wrong. Once ran out of air (faulty rental equipment), and once got abandoned by my dive buddy and the rest of the divers at 90 feet in strong current. Both times, don't remember feeling scared, just annoyed and disappointed (i.e. RATS! I have to go up!)

I'm looking forward to some good stories on this thread.

Reg remove/recover.
Sitting at 30 feet.
Buddy and instructor nearby.
Reg out, toss away, tilt tank, reach back....oh **** #1; no regs. No main, no octopus...bad news.
Search...search...search....no luck.
Getting concerned, keeping cool (thank god I don't scare easy underwater).
Run out of air and reach for instructors main (he was holding it out for me incase this happened)
Insert reg, clear with button, take breath....oh **** #2; water in the mouth...DO NOT INHALE...DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
Took a couple of tries but I finally got a breath, then another, and kept on going. I did complete that skill on the second try perfectly. I had just reached the wrong way (under armpit instead of over) the first time.

Does that count?

The big boat that rumbled over us when it shouldn't have been there. Actually a current had drawn us around a jetty into the river channel.

Lesson, pay more attention to currents and tides..

Pete

<5' visibility with lots of particulate, at night, in high current(between slack tides) drifting to the end of a jetty and around to the boat. I got caught in alot of fishing line and had run my tank fairly low(lower than I've ever let it run at that depth atleast) by the time my buddy and I were able to cut me(and him) free. Huge wads of monofiliment were all over the flounder I took that night too - ugh! Frightening, not really, but I did begin to get a bit nervous at 300psi :)

This was scary, but also very funny after the fact..... Diving in Maine, low vis, swiming around large rocks. What comes the blind slide but a dog fish. What does brain shout....SHARK!!!!!..... Guess I need a brush up on fish ID

Last year ~ like Bug ~ Crappy viz on a dive, there were 2 large holes in the side of the wreck of a barge, and in the bad viz, I had accidentally swam in. I realized I was inside the wreck. Took about 3-5 minutes to find my way back out. Scared the snot out of me.

Saw a shark eat a fella once... ripped him right in half at the waist and swallowed him in two big gulps... of course that was a diving dream I had... but it was still scary...

Ken

Brand0n:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom