Black Friday Gear Sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's safe to say that whichever way I go, I'll question if I should have gotten the other light 😂

If I get the combo light, I'll probably wish I had more power in the beam. If I get the Pro, I'll probably wonder how good the flood mode would look under certain situations. I'm leaning towards the Pro right now because as a beam it would have great power, probably would have a lot less particulate scattering, and hopefully I'm less likely to piss off or blind a dive buddy.
Keep in mind that there is such a thing as too much power on night dives. You run the risk of chasing off the fish that you are there to see. I think that the 2500 spot/flood will do you well, and I also think that you will find, at least in clearer water, that you will prefer the medium setting once your eyes adjust to the darkness, especially if looking at sea life vs structures.

Erik

Keep in mind that there is such a thing as too much power on night dives. You run the risk of chasing off the fish that you are there to see. I think that the 2500 spot/flood will do you well, and I also think that you will find, at least in clearer water, that you will prefer the medium setting once your eyes adjust to the darkness, especially if looking at sea life vs structures.

Erik
So the flood and spot model can do a 600 lumen spot beam and 2000 flood. Think that's good enough compromise that would work in the Puget Sound and on open water travel diving?

So the flood and spot model can do a 600 lumen spot beam and 2000 flood. Think that's good enough compromise that would work in the Puget Sound and on open water travel diving?
Most lights have multiple output settings. Check, as the light I'll loan you is too bright for Hawaii for night diving. But great for day diving to bring back the color.

I like the looks of this one. Up to 2500 flood and 1200 spot, 3 settings each mode. Pretty much lasts one tank on high or two tanks on medium:

I like the looks of this one. Up to 2500 flood and 1200 spot, 3 settings each mode. Pretty much lasts one tank on high or two tanks on medium:

This is, actually, the torch I was referring to, which was top of the list on the scuba.com page you linked. Honestly, I think the 2000 s/f would work for you just as well. Remember, the sea life that you’ll find on night dives is out because it’s dark, so they will take off in bright light. Except for the ones who are sleeping, 😆. I start with one of my regular dive lights, 1000-1300 Lumens, set on the medium setting, then switch to this light, Mini 630 Lumen Dive Light, using a AA battery for the 180 Lumens setting. The other light will be used to look for landmarks, that type of stuff, but not often.

Again, if your night diving for other reasons than sea life, the 2500 s/f might be the better way to go.

Sorry so long, but I seem to say that a lot,
Erik

I think it's safe to say that whichever way I go, I'll question if I should have gotten the other light 😂

If I get the combo light, I'll probably wish I had more power in the beam. If I get the Pro, I'll probably wonder how good the flood mode would look under certain situations. I'm leaning towards the Pro right now because as a beam it would have great power, probably would have a lot less particulate scattering, and hopefully I'm less likely to piss off or blind a dive buddy.
How much water-particulate do you have? In other words, visibility-range during the day?

Where I dive, there is no seeing objects far away due to particles in the water. So a narrow spot, just become a tiny bright spot, and you can barely see anything else.

How much water-particulate do you have? In other words, visibility-range during the day?

Where I dive, there is no seeing objects far away due to particles in the water. So a narrow spot, just become a tiny bright spot, and you can barely see anything else.
It varies dramatically

I'd probably go with a wider-beam then personally, especially if dealing with 10ft or less visibility.
15 foot visibility is good around here. 30 feet or more is absolutely amazing. It does vary dramatically by the season. Amount of rainfall is a big factor. Algae blooms in spring/early summer are another.

Back
Top Bottom