black mask for claustrophobic diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Tusa Visulator that looks very much like the Atomic one that RJP posted.

Gotta tell ya, I switched from the Visualator to the Atomic. There is no comparison whatsoever. These masks have nothing in common except for the fact that they are both scuba masks.

tusa_visualator.gif

atomic_less.gif

Hard to tell from any picture that doesn't have both in the same shot, but the Visualator is a very large, clunky, high-volume mask, with a pane of glass that is much taller than the Atomic. Take a look at the picture above, and focus on the nose pieces on the two masks: they are essentially the same size in real life. This should give you a pretty good frame of reference to compare just how much larger the Tusa is compared to the Atomic. Also notice that the lens on the Tusa sits way out in front, almost beyond the tip of your nose, whereas the Atomic has the lens in close, right over the bridge of your nose - about where a pair of glasses would sit. However, since the Tusa holds the lens such a far distance from your eyes, you actually get a SMALLER field of view than on the much more compact Atomic Frameless.

Tusa is also a more difficult to clear, since the interior space is so large.

The Atomic is way more comfortable as well.

I have the same problem as your sister. I have tried several masks, and have found a clear mask with a clear skirt is the best for me. Just my mask touching my face bothers me. But someone wrote earlier she needs to pick it out. I agree with that post.

RJP ... You're probably right on all that, and it does take a bit to clear it ... but I was pointing out the single glass design aspect .. cheers :)

Just wondering...how does someone dive who is clausterphobic? I would think that having all the water around them would exacerbate the clausterphobia.

That's what I ask my wife all the time "So you're saying you feel trapped in 3/4 of the planet?"

I think different things bother different people so it's not really possible to generalize about claustrophobia and diving. Being in the water doesn't bother me in any way, but there's no way I'd take up cave diving. Not even crazy about caves above water.

I think different things bother different people so it's not really possible to generalize about claustrophobia and diving. Being in the water doesn't bother me in any way, but there's no way I'd take up cave diving. Not even crazy about caves above water.

This is a truly valid point, being underwater and the physical pressure involved can be physically comfortable.I for one don't mind at all being 100' ft under water,but, 100' above ground is a bit nerve racking. Airplanes don't count, a necessary evil to diving.
Acceptable risk :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom