Black Skirts limited vision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus

Registered
Reaction score
I am debating whether or not to get the black skirted x-vision r the clear. I knowth black skirt eliminates some glare but doesn't it limit any side vision?

Do you really see anything through the skirt of your mask?

If it's like my Aqualung Mythos, then no. You should see fine. You should not be looking through the skirt on any decent mask. I believe the X-Vision is right up there with the Mythos. I was totally blown away at the increased field of view with my new mask versus my older "standard" side-window mask. NO comparison. I didn't even know the mask or skirt was even there on dives. Just a "halo" around then end of field of vision.

jonnythan:
Do you really see anything through the skirt of your mask?

It would seem though that if your buddy was trying to get your attention you would see the reflection or something. Is this wrong?

If it's like my Aqualung Mythos, then no. You should see fine. You should not be looking through the skirt on any decent mask. I believe the X-Vision is right up there with the Mythos. I was totally blown away at the increased field of view with my new mask versus my older "standard" side-window mask. NO comparison. I didn't even know the mask or skirt was even there on dives. Just a "halo" around then end of field of vision.

Are you referring to black skirt or clear?

Gotta admit, I'm able to see my buddy (blurrily) using peripheral vision through a clear skirt, versus not seeing at all with a black skirt.

For snorkelling I would go with the black skirt - it cuts down glare from the sun. But my next mask will have a clear skirt - it was a bit of a surprise how much easier it made keeping visual track of buddies after I borrowed my wife's new mask (with clear skirt). You can't see anything clear through the silicon, but you *can* see shapes and movement.

Deus:
It would seem though that if your buddy was trying to get your attention you would see the reflection or something. Is this wrong?

Are you referring to black skirt or clear?

Black skirt. I'll have to try the mask again to see if I notice the skirt. But it's got such a wide field of view it does not matter either way.

I own black and translucent skirted masks. I use the black for photography. Ones that allow light are very distracting and can flare certain kinds of cameras. I think the clear are a little less claustrophobic just allowing a brighter view of the world.

I tried the clear skirt for a couple of dives and found that unless it was extremely overcast the glare and shadows were too distracting. jmo

Returned the mask and traded it for a black skirt

I've been diving a black skirt for a while, and last fall had to switch to a clear skirt because of a mask failure. Way too much glare for me.

glare seems to be the only difference. I have switched to a black skirt X-vision and I don't really feel that the visibility is affected in any way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom