black water quarry near boonville mo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I heard from a friend there used to be a quarry open to diving near the town of blackwater near booneville mo. Does anyone know what happened to it or has ever heard of it?

I've heard about it. Many of the locals tell me about a quarry that use to be open around booneville several years ago. It was more geared toward swimmers and even had a zip line. It was a private quarry and a hangout. What I've heard is that somebody got hurt or maybe even died and the owners closed it up. The insurance and liability was too much for them to keep it open. I've never been there but have been told it was beautiful.

Not sure if what I've heard is the same quarry you're talking about. There could be another one.

There are 3 quarry's open to divers near Elden Missouri, south of Booneville. You have to contact Jeff at the Dive Shop in Jeffereson City for access. Nothing great, just some quarry's and a little difficult to get to because you have to drive basically through paths in the woods. I actually did my open water certification at these quarries several years ago.

Finger Lakes north of Columbia has some opportunity to divers. This place is geared toward ATV's, but there is one little poole of water there that I've heard people have dove. Not been there either.

Snagel

I would be interested in any comments on Finger Lake.

I dove Stockton Lake Friday 15 July 11 (Crabtree Cove), water was warm, but visibility was poor.

Thanks

I have dove finger lakes many times, you can get 5 to 8 feet vis if your lucky. Depends on the swimmers. park on the road north of the park, a gravel road that has a little dirt spot to park at. then its a close walk to the north end of the quarry. lots of junk in it. old bikes some little fish. not much but its wet..Let me know when and i mite meet you there..

A quarry in Booneville? HMMMM....If anyone finds out anymore in this let me know. The finger lakes sounds interesting as well.
So, I did my checkout dive in June 1979 in Blackwater Quarry, with a dive shop in Southeast Kansas City or Lee's Summit that was run by a guy named Warren Billeter. We did all our pool work in a Shawnee Mission East pool (IIRC) during the winter, and when it got warm, we went out to Blackwater and dove in that quarry. But they must have closed it up or went out of business, because years later, my wife and I drove out there to try to find it and take a dip in the water, and all the signs were gone. I recall it was deep, and very cold. I believe that all the strip mining equipment was probably down there, along with a boat and some other stuff at different depth levels.
As an aside, there was also a dive hole near Joplin named Oronogo. I dove there, too, when I went to school at Pittsburg State University from 1981-82. It also was very deep and cold.

So, I did my checkout dive in June 1979 in Blackwater Quarry, with a dive shop in Southeast Kansas City or Lee's Summit that was run by a guy named Warren Billeter. We did all our pool work in a Shawnee Mission East pool (IIRC) during the winter, and when it got warm, we went out to Blackwater and dove in that quarry. But they must have closed it up or went out of business, because years later, my wife and I drove out there to try to find it and take a dip in the water, and all the signs were gone. I recall it was deep, and very cold. I believe that all the strip mining equipment was probably down there, along with a boat and some other stuff at different depth levels.
As an aside, there was also a dive hole near Joplin named Oronogo. I dove there, too, when I went to school at Pittsburg State University from 1981-82. It also was very deep and cold.
Unfortunately, the mine at Oronogo is closed. Used to make a lot of trips down there, and sure wish it was still open. You are correct, deep and cold.

DW

Unfortunately, the mine at Oronogo is closed. Used to make a lot of trips down there, and sure wish it was still open. You are correct, deep and cold.

DW
Thanks for letting me know. At least I know I wasn’t dreaming regarding those memories!

Thanks for letting me know. At least I know I wasn’t dreaming regarding those memories!

No worries!

On the South side of the quarry there is a horizontal shaft at about 180'. I got to see the video of them finding an old locomotive about a mile in, was really neat to see. Ozark Cave Diving Alliance shot the video, but I can't remember who all was involved with that series of dives.

DW

Back
Top Bottom