Blackbeard Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be going on my first Blackbeard Cruise October 28. I have read nothing but good things about them except for rjack321's post. From what I gather, if you don't expect more than spartan accomodations then you'll have great diving at a great price. I can't wait, counting down the days. :D

I have done numerous blackbeard cruises - and all I can say is if you want to dive - this is the trip for you!! Its not luxurious but its diving! Its a shame they moved their operations to the Bahamas because it was fabulous (and inexpensive) dive trip. Just be prepared that the dressiest clothing you will need is a t-shirt and flip flops! Have a great time -- wish we could do the trip!

I just got back off my first live aboard with them 2 weeks ago. I will definately do it with them again. It seems that Sept & Oct are the slowest times of the year (the downside is that you risk hurricanes). The trip I took only had 9 passengers (8 divers & 1 non- diver), so we had room to spread out a bit. I had the time of my life! Everything everyone has written is true, it's not fancy by any means, but if you want to dive, this is the place. The dives were gorgeous & thrilling! I was able to do 19/ 20 dives possible & will remember it for years to come.

theskull:
Good points. Confirms emphatically that it is not a luxury cruise, not for everyone.

Direct flush, big deal, the solution to pollution is dilution.
Inattentive crew after port night, fine with me as long as they can park the boat where I want to dive.
Air is still the breakfast of champions--most of the Blackbeards dives were shallower anyway, and the surface intervals were long because the boat is slow. Noone on board our excursion even mentioned it.

theskull

Dilution certainly works in the Gulf Stream, but seeing turds go by as you wait for the ladder is BS.

We did some 90ft dives on air, in their Al80s. Would have been vastly better on 32%.

Are those boats still registered in the US with USCG inspections? They were getting on in age in 1999. Ours had a hull to deck joint leak by our bunk which dripped in during the wet crossing from Miami to Bimini. I'm curious about their current condition, have they been overhauled and refurbished?

rjack321:
Dilution certainly works in the Gulf Stream, but seeing turds go by as you wait for the ladder is BS.

We did some 90ft dives on air, in their Al80s. Would have been vastly better on 32%.

Are those boats still registered in the US with USCG inspections? They were getting on in age in 1999. Ours had a hull to deck joint leak by our bunk which dripped in during the wet crossing from Miami to Bimini. I'm curious about their current condition, have they been overhauled and refurbished?

All valid points. And if they're a big deal to you, Aggressor runs some fantastic live-a-boards for a couple thousand dollars per trip. I've been on one and they're fabulous, but I also truly enjoyed my Blackbeards trip and was able to afford 3 additional trips that year because of the savings.

Thanks for throwing in and reporting what many would consider some negative aspects of the bargain trips, as both sides of the story are true and it is good for potential customers to know what to expect for their money.

theskull

Not sure how long ago you went on Blackbeard's, but I went in August and can report a completely turd free experience. Well except for some of the passengers on the boat. :rofl3: They do have holding tanks for sewage. Blackbeard's is def camping at sea, but for those of us that don't need to be awakened with coffee at 9 am, it was great, I dove, dove, dove, ate, slept, ate, napped and dove some more. I would take some ear plugs in case you are in the galley. Breakfast did not wake me up becuase of the plugs. Definately take your mal de mer drugs just in case (I slept like a baby during a rough patch we had on the first night while other non-believers were hurling). I highly reccomend the experience and can't wait to go back. :14:

Blackbeards - Great Trip!
You are going to have a great time on the trip. My wife and I went over new years 05-06 and had a ball!! The Morningstar with G-man and crew. The food will likely exceed your expectations, unless you are uptight. The bunks are fine and mind the rules of the head! We sailed with 20 on board and never felt cramped. Dive dive dive is the way to go. The bell rings around 8, breakfast, pre-dive and in you go. The crew was outstanding and like a card table you may draw a passenger list or hand that could vary greatly. My suggestion - COMMUNICATE! send them an e-mail, describe yourself, experience and expectations. They have three boats that all leave on the same day and will balance the guests accomodations with whatever info that they have.

A few tips:
The bunk space is smallish. Bring a dry bag to store your dirty or extra clothes in. This can be stored topside in your gear stow. (Largish) Also serves as a seat cushion or pillow for a nap on the bow!

Heavy duty clips to secure your belongings to the side rails.

Select or request a bunk not in the galley or in the front of the boat. #6,7,8 is best. The web site for blackbeards is excellent. Look at the layout on the boat and hope for a topside gear stow near the navigation point. Shade, conversation and convenience on a first come first serve basis.

Bull Run Rocks!
Torcatdog

I went on a trip with Blackbeards last november. You will not regret going. It was a great experience. Awsome diving and the shark dive was incredible.

my husband and i went in aug. we had a blast. they have holding tanks. i was worried about going due to the camping at sea. it was great. i did take my ipod and a set of ear plugs just in case. the toliet situations needs to be updated but i think that is what gives its added flare. i will agree that visability was an issue on some dives, but then again i'm comparing it to cozumel. i will probably book again same crew morning star and capt grayson.

absolutely the best value of any dive package. very attentative crew, great dive sites, we had 24 dives including 3 drift dives and 3 night dives the week I went. Someone wrote the key is get a good cook. well that may be true but for me the trick is get a boat with only a small number of passengers. Our cruise had 8 divers and one non-diver with 6 crew.
in regards to the complaints by rjack321, well all I know is they have holding tanks now and there is only one port night - tuesday in Bimini. The crew didnt get drunk but a few of the divers did which made for uncomfortable dives the next day for them. I drank coca cola but I figured I was there to dive and I sure didnt want to miss any.
The shark feed makes the trip worthwhile all by itself. That is something to behold. we had a full 20 minute feeding then we swam around the reef with sharks for another 30 minutes or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom