Blackbeards in Feb...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparky30

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going on a Blackbeards cruise at the end on Feb.. Does anybody know what temperatures/weather to expect?
I was planning on taking my 5mm wetsuit.. too warm? too cold?
should I bring a hood?
I am also still looking for a cheap hotel/motel close to the dock because I am arriving the night before we leave.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Woohoo.. I can't wait :) It'll be my first live-aboard :)

Definitely bring the hood. If you don't need it you don't have to wear it. But it takes up minimal room in your luggage. It's good to have. A hooded vest would be even better if you tend to get cold. You can do longish dives on Blackbeards as long as your air holds out. You don't want your diving to be limited by cold.

Crossing the gulfstream might get rough. Take sea sick meds 4-6 hours BEFORE you get on the boat and then keep taking them at the recommended intervals. Be sure you have good rain gear with you. If you tend to get queasy, you won't want to be below during the crossing.

Of course, you could do what I did on my second trip and just make sure you are below, asleep in your bunk before the boat starts getting tossed about on the waves. I didn't even notice the gulfstream on my second trip, but on my first, when I was awake, above decks in my rain gear, I was miserable and wet.

Have some warm clothing with you for nights. It can get a little chilly.

Pack light. They tell you to pack light. Take the recommendation seriously. There really is no place to keep your stuff.

Try not to get stuck in one of the four bunks at the far forward part of the bow.

Make sure you have good batteries in your dive computer.

Have fun. I wish I was going with you.

raviepoo once bubbled...

Pack light. They tell you to pack light. Take the recommendation seriously. There really is no place to keep your stuff.

Try not to get stuck in one of the four bunks at the far forward part of the bow.

Make sure you have good batteries in your dive computer.

Have fun. I wish I was going with you.

Thanks for all the info.. I forgot about the dive computer batteries.. Do they have power on board so I can recharge my camera batteries?

I was planning on diving in my 5/3mm full suit..and I'll bring a hood and thin gloves.. I am not worried about getting cold but more about marine critters :) What can I say.. My entire saltwater experience has been two dives.. and both of those were in my dry suit..

I keep reading about bringing clothespins.. But I don't get why.. Can you shed some light on the subject?

How is the food? I'm not picky, but diving makes me hungry :)

I went on the Morning Star last August. One of the best vacations I have ever had!

The food was very good! I am a very picky eater so it means a lot coming from me. The clothes pins are for hanging your wetsuit and clothes on the guide lines on deck. Believe me, it is needed if you want any dry clothes. I took two towels, one to dry off with topside when returning from a dive (it will get salty) and one I kept below for when I took fresh water showers. Don't mix the two! LOL

Another thing to bring is a small spray bottle with roughly 30% Lysol and 70% water...you will be storing your gear in bins on deck that double as seats. After a few days in the heat, with damp diving gear closed up in there, it starts getting a bit "ripe." You can't leave the lids (seats) off for long to air it out, so a few quick squirts from that bottle and things will smell better.

Have a great time and let us know how much fun you had?

Thomas

Thanks for Lysol idea...
My biggest worry is 22 people and two bathrooms.. I figure after a week at sea it will be pretty ripe in there too..LOL
Sound like I'll have some serious gear cleaning to do when we get back to dry land..

I had the bunk in the galley closest to the shower and head. Never smelled anything bad the whole trip.

I loved being woken up to the smell of coffee and fresh bacon. My bunk had plenty of room, definitely get one of the galley bunks if possible.

As for 22 people, you'll all be well acquainted by the end of the trip.

One more thing, bring a wide bottomed, covered mug with you. The beer mugs provided are "smallish." :D

Thomas

Blackbeards provides more than enough clothespins for all of the guests. They are the simple, wooden kind. If you want heavy duty ones you can bring them yourself.

One really good idea that I saw on my first trip with them was bungie cords attached to clothespins. This guy who had done 15 Blackbeards cruises used the bungie cords to secure his wetsuit when it was hanging over the railing to dry. It turned out to be a great idea. One unlucky guest on that trip lost her wetsuit over the side and never got it back.

I agree about the galley area bunks. They're roomy and the smells that wake you in the morning are awesome.

sparky30 once bubbled...

I keep reading about bringing clothespins.. But I don't get why.. Can you shed some light on the subject?

One set of warm, waterproof clothes.

Seasickness medication.

Body shampoo in lieu of regular soap.

An insulated coffee mug with a lid that's water tight.

Extra towel (2).

Hanger & wooden clothes pins.

Change for the coin laundry on port night.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom