Blackbeards in Feb...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the bunk in the galley closest to the shower and head. Never smelled anything bad the whole trip.

I loved being woken up to the smell of coffee and fresh bacon. My bunk had plenty of room, definitely get one of the galley bunks if possible.

As for 22 people, you'll all be well acquainted by the end of the trip.

One more thing, bring a wide bottomed, covered mug with you. The beer mugs provided are "smallish." :D

Thomas

just got back last week.... I was on the Pirates lady. The water temp was around 75 and the surface temp remained between 80 and 85.. Brought my 6mm shorty and it was more than sufficient. Make sure you have batteries for your dive computer and your flashlights (you could also purchase them @ miami) :D . They do have a plug where you could plug your computer, rechargable batteries etc.
We had a rough crossing from miami to bimini (do bring a foul weather gear just in case .... and also lots of seasick medication.

have fun

I packed anough sea sickness meds and assorted other stuff to open a drug store :)
I got he heavy duty clothes pins and bungy cords.. A big stainless steel insulated mug with a wide bottom.. Looks like I'm all set :) Now all i have to do I figure out how to fit all this stuff and myself into my bunk.. LOL I'm kinda big :)
Maybe I'll just pile all my clothes into a duffle bag and use them as a pillow..

Hi everyone,

I'm booked on a the blackbeard's trip for March 26-30 and I'm flying in from Philly. I see that space is very limited so I'm going to pack very light, but I'm planning on putting my dive gear in a UK hard case for the flight. Will I be able to stow the hard case anywhere on board? I have a gear bag, but I fear something being broken (yikes) if I check my dive gear at the airport in just a bag. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Marcos:
Hi everyone,

I'm booked on a the blackbeard's trip for March 26-30 and I'm flying in from Philly. I see that space is very limited so I'm going to pack very light, but I'm planning on putting my dive gear in a UK hard case for the flight. Will I be able to stow the hard case anywhere on board? I have a gear bag, but I fear something being broken (yikes) if I check my dive gear at the airport in just a bag. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

They have storage at the docks for your hard case and anything else you don't want to bring on the boat. ( Perhaps some provisions for hanging out in South Beach for a couple of days.)

You can bring your gear bag also, but you probably wont need it. Your tank, bcd and reg gets setup and stays in tank racks the whole trip. The remainder of your gear gets stowed in gear lockers that are part of the seats up topside. ( They call it the horseshoe ). All you will have in there is your wetsuit, weights, mask and fins. If you have other little items you may need the bag to keep it together, otherwise its easier to shove the stuff in there without a bag.

Thanks Chris, I really appreciate your response. Man I can't wait for that trip, my first liveaboard :) anyone else out there booked for the March 26-30 long weekend? I'm going alone and could use a dive buddy.

No problem, its nice to actually have something usefull to contribute now and then instead of just banging my head against the wall with idiots.

Have a great trip! I'm so envious. BTW ask ANY BB's question you have. I've gone out with them 3 times and I know their routine pretty well. I think a couple of people here actually crewed with them many moons ago.

how is the diving? It looks like mostly shallow reef diving as I am used to deeper wreck diving. The change is going to be good I'm sure. The shark dive looks exciting. I see they dive with only Alum 80's, but I guess that won't make a difference because the dives aren't that deep. I see they serve booze on the boat, does everyone party hard or get to bed early? Is it hard to sleep on these boats? I read all the posts about what to bring like clothes pins and the like. I saw also to pack as light as possible. Any other advice or tips from your experience? I guess it's a good trip if you went 3 times already. I'm really excited about the trip and find myself thinking about it often. I really need to get away from reality for a while and I miss diving so much. I haven't dove since November. Plus most of my dive experience is wreck diving in the Atlantic so some nice warm tropical diving is going to be great. Thanks again for your help.

>>how is the diving?

Fun. The shark dive is pretty cool. Everyone overweights by about 5lbs or so and enters the water 'paratrooper' style off both sides of the boat. Its amazing how fast they can get everyone seated.

>>I see they serve booze on the boat, does everyone party hard or get to
bed early?

Depends on the passengers. I've been on trips where people don't drink much, and I've been on trips where its a bunch of boozers. The only rule is once you drink, your done diving. BTW Blackbeards is a very informal boat. Depending on the passengers you may have a very 'intimate' group that puts away many social barriers to have fun. I remember on one trip a lady decided that it was too much of a pain in the ass to dry off and dress behind the curtain outside of the shower. So she just started coming out nekkid. Then of course there was 'Bimini Betty' blow up dowl that got hoisted up the main halyard.

>> Is it hard to sleep on these boats?
It can be, but after a day or so you get used to it and your so tired anyways from all the diving and sun that you just crash. My first trip was the hardest. We crossed the gulf stream in 8-10' chop. I was up in cabin 1L being bounced around like a tennis ball listening to water in the bildges that sounded like a 2L soda bottle. I choose to sit up topside with the Capt and the Duty. Somehow sideways rain and shivering cold was better that night. Never had a problem sleeping after that.

>> I read all the posts about what to bring like clothes pins and the like.

Yes, go to Home Depot and get the heavy duty ones with the plastic clips so they won't stain your clothes. Everyone clips towels and swimsuits and stuff to the safety lines around the boat. They only make you take them down when you come into port. ( They have SOME standards! LOL ) Also bring a boat seat cushion. Sitting on fiberglass for a week gets old. Also consider bringing a large mug with lid. Preferablly with a splash proof lid and a weighted non-slip bottem. Drinking out of the plastic cups they have gets old. Also bring a favorite music cd and consider leaving it. The passengers and crew get tired of listening to the same music over and over.

>> I saw also to pack as light as possible.
Yes. You'll reuse alot ( like swim trunks ). I get into a routine of wearing something fresh in the evening after my shower and then reusing it during the next day. A couple pairs of swim trunks will last the week while you'll want more tee shirts. One towel for bathing and a seperate towel for drying off after a dive is good. You'll figure it out.

>>Any other advice or tips from your experience?

When you get into Alicetown, Bimini there are showers that can be used at the docks. The crew may or may not remember to announce that fact. USE THEM! Thats your $55 port tax at work. Nice long, hot freshwater showers.

>>I guess it's a good trip if you went 3 times already.

I hope you have a great time. What week are you going? I'm currently negotiating with my wife for my 4th trip. She wants me to go in May but I'd rather go in February.

again for all the sound advice. I'm only going for the long weekend trip from 3/26 - 3/30. I would love to do a week long, maybe next time I will be able to. I am leaving my non diver girlfriend back in Philly so I have to do some negotiating as well. Does your wife come and dive with you or is she a non diver too? Having a non diver girlfriend can be difficult at times, I hope she learns to deal with my new passion somehow, it would be a shame to have to leave her :)

Hey maybe you can get away for this long weekend trip, I think there is a spot or two left and as I am going alone I could use a competent dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom