BlackMagic Underwater Tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My days of pursuing high quality video are in the past. I enjoy the footage I get from my little compact LX7 and the money saved let's me go to more expensive destinations. I do miss some of the capabilities of my older camera though. However, neither looked great shown through my projector onto a 100" screen.

It's difficult to compare equipment if post processing will be part of the equation. The BM was designed with post processing to be required. Definitely not the camera for the average Scubaboard member.

I just read the manual. The controls are at least insufficient and relies on the lens image stabiliser temperature setting of max 7500K?? This looks interesting to do stuff on land but a bit limited for underwater. Anyway will be good for someone but not for me.

I just read the manual. The controls are at least insufficient and relies on the lens image stabiliser temperature setting of max 7500K?? This looks interesting to do stuff on land but a bit limited for underwater. Anyway will be good for someone but not for me.

The temperature setting doesn't mean anything when you shoot raw, you can tune it to over 15000K with ACR. However I do agree that the controls are insufficient...at least for me and the LCD monitor is barely usable.

Coming from a GH3 view here...

The BMPCC should be amazing for underwater use.
RAW, 13 stops, 12bit color depth - technically it sounds amazing.

And the videos posted by Simon, do really show how good it can be.

Before getting the GH3 (and now the GH4), I did really consider the BMPCC, but decided I'm not a Pro, and spend enough time diving, let alone in front of the PC! So wanted something, that with minimum editing I can view/share.

For sure, given enough effort, time and skill - the BMPCC camera should knock all the other cameras out of the water, alas I'm missing the last two :)

My only gripe with the BMPCC is the perceived sharpness I've seen, when mixed with other footage (as in your GW footage Simon).

I hope they release a BMPCC 4K variant, same form factor etc - then I would be very interested.

I think 13 stops is not that incredible? The rx100 has measured 12.3. I think is mostly the recording format but the gh4 has 220 Mbps in all intra and you can control aperture. Am not sure I would let the camera to choose apertures randomly in macro and some of the lenses are really not sharp

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 10:55 AM ----------

Also do you really want your underwater videos to look like a film or like a sport video??

Last edited:

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 10:55 AM ----------

Also do you really want your underwater videos to look like a film or like a sport video??

Good question. You can save yourself a lot of money and time if you all want is a sport video look.

Like I mentioned above, I gave up on pursuing high quality for UW footage. Too expensive and time consuming. Not just the editing time, but also the time spent to get the shots, angles, lighting, just right for that "film" look. And of course, the animal life is not always cooperative. Hey mister fish, can you come back over here ? I did not set the aperture correctly so my depth of field was wrong.

Pretty much. There are no real actors this is not a movie more a documentary and I rather have double frame rate and aperture choice than be bothered with 24p film look. There was few years ago an oscar winning movie about bears but that was quite unique and doing it underwater seems really hard. Good luck to all of those trying

I thought it was prores but yes you are right. Still I like the LCD to be near to what it will be in the final edit
The LCD can be set to display in video mode, which is less washed out than in film mode.
I sold my BMPCC for a 5D MK3 (yes more expensive) to have access to more wide lens and features like Auto ISO and faster AF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom