Blacktip firmware modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to go ahead and provide an update.
I am currently adding some code to handle custom battery packs. This will keep from having to mess with a resistor mod.
I am also thinking about adding some changes to cruise. I was thinking maybe have it stay C on the display, flash periodically, or maybe cycle from C to the speed you are in. Any suggestions?

Work got in the way and I haven't had much time for side projects. I do hope to test the code on the old and new hardware soon. I do have a build of the previous firmware (minus the changes I am working on) that should work on the latest hardware but I haven't tested it at all. I would like to at least put it on something myself to make sure there are no obvious or dangerous issues before letting anyone else try it.

Excellent news! I really appreciate all the enhancements from your updated firmware. The viz can be really crappy where I live, so the slow speed migrate feature is really intuitively obvious. I don't understand why Dive-X didn't implement it that way to begin with.

As far as cruise control, maybe when it enters cruise control just flash 'C', and then every 15-30 seconds flash 'C' followed by the speed? And possibly flash the battery level after the speed, so cruising for a while will give an indication if the battery level is dropping? And when exiting cruise control, flash a 'C' with a slash through it?

From a liability perspective, maybe require acknowledgement of the modified functionality before it will operate, like requiring 6 clicks to activate, even if the new capabilities are turned on in firmware? There was some discussion on the Dive-X FB group about cruise control and novices getting into trouble, so that would let people keep the function deactivated if they let a novice DPV diver use their Blacktip, even if turned on in firmware.

If your serial number is above a certain number, you can only use the newest Dive-X firmware or you could brick your Blacktip
Just checked. Mine SN# is 002-3050. Good news is that my cord was the problem so now I can read it with VESC.

I am currently adding some code to handle custom battery packs. This will keep from having to mess with a resistor mod.
I am also thinking about adding some changes to cruise. I was thinking maybe have it stay C on the display, flash periodically, or maybe cycle from C to the speed you are in. Any suggestions?

Work got in the way and I haven't had much time for side projects. I do hope to test the code on the old and new hardware soon. I do have a build of the previous firmware (minus the changes I am working on) that should work on the latest hardware but I haven't tested it at all. I would like to at least put it on something myself to make sure there are no obvious or dangerous issues before letting anyone else try it.
I saw that suggestion on the Github. I think it would be nice to have the "C" come up to confirm you did activate it. I don't think having it flash is warranted as I imagine you would know if you were still in cruise lol.

The word in the FB group is that there is a USB plug on the new board. You just have to get the right cable to connect to it.
Also just FYI for others. Mine is about 1 month old and came with a USB Micro port on the board. But I have yet to find one small enough to leave in. Even this one was still too tall:

Something that allows the scooter to still run when it detects a battery imbalance, but without completely disabling the functionality would be nice. Maybe detect it and display the indication of the imbalance, but don't shut off the motor?

I don't see any use for a Cruise indicator. If it's still running when I take my thumb off the trigger I know Cruise is active.

In other words, mine is pretty much perfect, for me, as it is with your current firmware. Thank you!!! :D

Something that allows the scooter to still run when it detects a battery imbalance, but without completely disabling the functionality would be nice. Maybe detect it and display the indication of the imbalance, but don't shut off the motor?

I don't see any use for a Cruise indicator. If it's still running when I take my thumb off the trigger I know Cruise is active.

In other words, mine is pretty much perfect, for me, as it is with your current firmware. Thank you!!! :D
That is my thought with cruise, pretty obvious if it is on or not but some people have asked for it.

As for the imbalance, I have written code to make it work with a single battery. I have had someone test it and it works but I want to make it better. I might try to incorporate a better imbalance function where it shows something on the screen instead of just cutting off and acting weird. I also might try periodically outputting the voltage to the screen. It is hard to accurately make a graph or something to show the percentage since everyone has different batteries. That is why it calculates the graph after a couple seconds of the battery not being under load.

Please share where I/we can download your firmware updates for the blacktip DPV, did not see a link anywhere.

I finally spent some time to update the current code to work with the different motor hardware divextras has been using. Go to Release v2.3 · bwoodill/BT_VESC to see the release. There are not any new features, just different firmware files for the different motor versions. Please read the release notes about how to determine which firmware you should use. Let me know if you have issues.

Hi guys, I'm reading all the comments and am excited to look at updating my BT with the 2.3 release for the cruise control and jump etc.

I have the 002 serial unit using George 0.4 and I'm happy about the files to use - but I wanted to ask about the USB connection to the unit. Does anyone have any advice on how to open the tail and what cables are needed to attach to the unit?

Many thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom