BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The math makes me a skeptic too. But even if the speed rating gets slashed, if it delivers otherwise it might still be a good product for a rec diver. I'm looking forward to reviews.

I just had a conversation with Gary over at Innovative. The estimated speed data provided for Bladefish was based on a 60 pound snorkeler. This is how the speed was estimated. Since the originally anticipated that this device would be of primary (largest volume) interest in the snorkeling market and would likely be used by young kids, I guess that test makes sense.

I think we will see new numbers with testing with a diver in complete dive gear. Don't know when that will come, but I am sure it will.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

The estimated speed data provided for Bladefish was based on a 60 pound snorkeler.

:shocked2:

But even if the speed rating gets slashed, if it delivers otherwise it might still be a good product for a rec diver. I'm looking forward to reviews.

I tend to agree. It might not be able to haul a diver along a good clip, but for the aged and overweight, it might mean that with a little bit of assistance from this they can keep up a better pace without churning through their air. And that size makes it a much more realistic option for a weekend recreational diver.

My 71 year old father may be getting one for his birthday next year.

I just received an email advertisement from Scuba.com selling the Bladefish 5000 for $800. The ad states a speed of 3.75 mph, a scooter weight of only 10 lbs, and a depth rating of 160 ft.

For comparison, with the save vendor, the Sea-Doo Explorer costs $640, states a speed of 3.3 mph, weighs 32 lbs, and has a depth rating of 160 ft. The only other scooter I've tried, the Tusa Evo (=Apollo AV 2) costs $2250, states a speed of 2.5 mph, weighs 44lbs, and has a depth rating of 230 ft. The saddle on this unit made riding effortless.

Most would not consider these "serious" DPVs but the latter 2 are a real kick for the recreational diver like me. I'd love to see reviews of the new Bladefish. What I'd realy like to see is objective test data for the above and for the more expensive technical scooters side by side.

Good diving, Craig

We have a small shipment of these arriving today. All of them are the Bladefish 5000 model. These will be the first production models I have seen. I expect the ease of use is going to be a big selling feature of this DPV. Remember, it is not designed to compete with more expensive and more powerful scooters. This is a recreational machine designed to directly target the other several recreational scooters on the market.

I will make a post and let everyone know how they look when they arrive.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

I expect the ease of use is going to be a big selling feature of this DPV.

Yeah, I suspect if "ease of use" means "ease of carrying around" then you are definitely right. I suspect they will sell like hot cakes.

As long as it doesn't leak.

I think the designers addressed the "leak" thing in a very common sense way....they eliminated the need for the consumer to "disassemble" any part of the scooter to charge the battery. Since they promote the battery as a "permanent" installation and since they don't require a nose cone to be removed to charge the battery, they have MUCH better control over the sealing surfaces of the scooter.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Back
Top Bottom