BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plug referred to is to cover the charging port. It has two o-rings about a quarter inch apart to seal that small compartment that has four electrical contacts in the bottom of it. Two are for the electric charging connection and the other two appear to be some kind of energy management system referred to in the manual but are not marked. The manual and warning sticker on the unit definitely say to insert plug before going near the water. The plug has a little retaining clip that keeps it snug in the compartment and prevents accidental release. It is tight and can only fit in one way due to a slot on the unit and an alignment strip on the plug.

I have seen the math and the physics of energy required to pull at 3.5 mph from an earlier post. I cannot argue either. But I can state that I had to be going faster than 100 FPM because I swim that rate easily every day in the pool at the YMCA and this was much - much faster than that on the fast setting. Could the diameter or pitch of the blades be a deciding factor? The bladefish has a larger diameter than the typical rec scooters out there.

We will be buying one shortly. I wonder how it compares to the Seadoo Explorer.

I have seen the math and the physics of energy required to pull at 3.5 mph from an earlier post. I cannot argue either. But I can state that I had to be going faster than 100 FPM because I swim that rate easily every day in the pool at the YMCA and this was much - much faster than that on the fast setting. Could the diameter or pitch of the blades be a deciding factor? The bladefish has a larger diameter than the typical rec scooters out there.

No.

Tobin

Tobin,

instead of standing here criticizing a product that you haven't seen, why don't you go stand by your products. It'll be a nice change for a while.

This scooter sounds very interesting and could even be a nice option for a tek diver who wants a light scooter to take on vacation and doesn't need the crazy expensive and heavy scooters for a light tek dive.

Erik

Tobin,

instead of standing here criticizing a product that you haven't seen, why don't you go stand by your products. It'll be a nice change for a while.

This scooter sounds very interesting and could even be a nice option for a tek diver who wants a light scooter to take on vacation and doesn't need the crazy expensive and heavy scooters for a light tek dive.

Erik

I'm critical of the outrageous claims the manufacturer is making.

Is there a place for a $800 lightweight scooter? Sure.

Can there be any justification for claiming 3.5 mph from a scooter that will be lucky to achieve 1/3 that speed?

Not in my book.

If an auto maker tried to make such claims they'd be sued and forced to stop.

Tobin

I appreciate reading Tobin's "critiques" of products like the BF. Without input from an educated individual it makes it much harder to be a good consumer. The BF sounds like a blast and perfect for my kids and me for general reef diving from shore. But, if the claims they make are not real this is important as I want to be aware what I am actually buying. Otherwise, the only information I have on the product is from the manufacturer or other buyers who say it felt "faster" than some particular speed.

My wife and I dive Cudas but would be interested in something a LOT cheaper for the kids but dont want to buy seadoos...

Our scuba club in Houston meets tonite. I will see if anyone wants to set up a calibrated speed test soon and test the 5000 with full battery charge to see how fast it goes and how long the battery lasts under scuba conditions.

Our scuba club in Houston meets tonite. I will see if anyone wants to set up a calibrated speed test soon and test the 5000 with full battery charge to see how fast it goes and how long the battery lasts under scuba conditions.

If you are interested in gathering useful meaningful data I would suggest reviewing the Tahoe Bench Mark Home Page

The 2009 report contains an explanation of how max speed data was measured.

In short, elapsed times using a short course provide a false indication of true speed.

No pool will be long enough.

That means a measured course of some sort is necessary.

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear about both the process and the results.

Tobin

So far people who have tried it on this thread are pleased(small sample lol).

If you watch the manufacturer video it says a lot about the unit. It's sloooow. It's not 3.5 mph in any stretch of the imagination unless you're kicking. As Tobin's is indicating - the claims are a distortion of facts and physics. My Bichon is growling in agreement.

I just had to stick my pup's picture in there because I like Deeper Thought's avatar & Bichon's. :D

Cheers,

X

Attachments

• Ruff.jpg
    Ruff.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 376
Tobin,

Erik

You're both right. I'm the kind of guy that likes to "do the math" like Tobin and I appreciate his efforts to point out the BS in the product's specs. It needs to be said.

At the same time, what it is really capable of may still be well worth buying for some people. I'm certainly interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom